Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
The coin on the right is Mexican (Mexico City mint) during the period 1705-1723 as noted by the assayer's initial, 'J', which (to these eyes) appears to be under the o/M mintmark on the left side of the shield.
How did you come to possess these; find or buy?
Don.......
PS: The coins on the left are not Mexican.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Ottokapod

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad to find you!!!
I've bought a total of 15 cob coins, but without knowing nothing about them. After a little research on the net I've found out that there's a book-reference of Frank Sedwick.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, it's Daniel Sedwick's book entitled "The Practical Book of Cobs".
You can also go on Sedwick's website --Shipwreck Coins and Artifacts of all Nations - Spanish Colonial & Latin American Coins by Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC --and view his auction catalogs (archived and up-coming) for addition information.

Post additional pics of more coins if you wish. No doubt they may all be ID-ed by many others on TN. There is also a separate forum here for Spanish coins where you may also post your pics and Qs.
Don........

OP
OP
O

Ottokapod

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your help, Don !!!
I'll post all of them as soon as I take some pictures of them.

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
Upper left is a Potosi 8R, 1620s.

Lower left is a Potosi 8R, mid-late 1640s.

Upper right is Mexico, Philip II-Philip III (ca. 1580s-1617). Don, that's assayer F... Hapsburg shield. Assayer J 1715 Fleet-type pieces are BOURBON shield........

Very nice, similar patina on all three - I especially like the 1640s Potosi. What country are you out of? I would assume these to be a small old hoard of some sort.

OP
OP
O

Ottokapod

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you again for your help!
These cobs belonged to a collector only a small part of his collection is in my hand.
May I show you two more 8 reales pieces?
8Reales5.jpg 8Reales4.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Coin on the right appears to be from Mexico City when the assayer "P" was in office; i.e. 1634-1665.
If correct, Sedwick writes this type of coin is typical of cobs that were "salvaged from the Concepcion, sunk in 1641."
Don.......

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On left Potosi, Munoz, 1616-1617.

OP
OP
O

Ottokapod

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you once again for your precious information!!!
Would you allow me to show you some photos from the rest of my tiny collection?
Here are some 4 reales pieces.
4Reales7.jpg 4Reales1.jpg 4Reales2.jpg 4Reales3.jpg 4Reales4.jpg 4Reales5.jpg 4Reales6.jpg

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
Most notable of the 4R you posted is the first piece - Toledo mint, assayer P - which has a fairly clear 1639 date.

However they got to that collector, I'm confident these all came from a well-preserved land hoard at some point... all clustered fairly narrowly in the 1610s-1640s range and all with similar old patina. They're almost certainly from somewhere in Europe or the Near East with all those homeland Spain types present (of the 4R, one is Mexico, one is Potosi, and the other 5 are from various homeland Spain mints). Nice grouping...

OP
OP
O

Ottokapod

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And these are the last part of my newly acquired collections of cobs. Three pieces of 2 reales.
2Reales1.jpg 2Reales2.jpg 2Reales3.jpg

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ottokapod, those are some nice looking cobs you have acquired. I don't know much about cobs other then occasionally some lucky treasure hunter finds one, but I was wondering generally, what are they worth. Are they valuable enough that counterfeiting is a concern?

philipj

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please help Identify 8 reales?

Dear Sirs,

I'm trying to identify a coin recently given to me by my father... My guess is somewhere in the 1620's? Please see attached photos. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 8 reales Spain 16xx -1.jpg
    8 reales Spain 16xx -1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 8 reales Spain 16xx -2.jpg
    8 reales Spain 16xx -2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 307

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks like a 4R from Potosi between 1649 and 1651 based on the assayer's mark of a big "O" with a dot inside; the mark of Juan Rodriquez de Roas. The denomination 4R is represented by the four 'bars' under the 'O'.
Don.......

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's not a 4 reale. It says viii if you look closely. There was a transitional period during Phillip the IV where there was some 8s that had the Arabic numeral and some with Roman numerals. Also that "O" is not the assayers initials the assayer is on the left side of the legend and it is a "T" assayer. That coin is likely from the 1620s-1630s potosi mint Phillip the IV 8 reales. The "O" was the last letter of the word Ocho meaning 8.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread