8 reales cobb. input please

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to ask your honest opinion on the value and to pull as much info as possible out of the markings on this.
I already know it's Mexico mint and from a 1715 fleet wreck. Likely 1713-14 king Phillip V.
I need to get better at deciphering these.
Thank you in advance.

photo-2.jpeg

photo-1.jpeg

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gator,
If you don't have the book, The Practical Book of Cobs by Daniel Sedwick, I'd suggest you buy it to assist you with ID-ing cobs.You may also find it worthy to check his company's online site and review prices received on similar items that have been recently been auctioned off.
Don.....

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sorry, Gatorboy, but there won't be much additional information to garner from such a specimen. There is no peripheral legend. You have already mentioned it's provenance as originating from the 1715 fleet. That is probably as good as it's going to get. So in summary, a Mexico City 8R minted during the reign of King Philip V with provenance to the 1715 fleet.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator,
If you don't have the book, The Practical Book of Cobs by Daniel Sedwick, I'd suggest you buy it to assist you with ID-ing cobs.You may also find it worthy to check his company's online site and review prices received on similar items that have been recently been auctioned off.
Don.....

Very good thank you.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, Gatorboy, but there won't be much additional information to garner from such a specimen. There is no peripheral legend. You have already mentioned it's provenance as originating from the 1715 fleet. That is probably as good as it's going to get. So in summary, a Mexico City 8R minted during the reign of King Philip V with provenance to the 1715 fleet.

Thank you.. so I did OK.. I couldn't figure much else..thought I may have been missing something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread