spanish cob coin

Relic_hunter1557

Feb 15, 2007
Can anyone identify this cob coin for me?

DSC01234.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01233.jpg

thanks!

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get me a better picture of the mint mark and assayer........not on an angle.
Then we will see better.......

going to movies first...back later, maybe ;)

Trez

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
One of the first things that strikes me is the style of the cross shown in the second picture. If you notice, it does not have the fleur-de-lis on the ends. This rules out Mexico, since the Mexican silver cobs always had this mark. Although it is barely distinguishable, we also know that is of the shield type, based on the photo. What I also see is a mint mark of "R".

This would place the coin as being minted at Bogota. I am not sure but above the R it looks like a T which could possibly be Alonso Turrillo. Turrillo served as mintmaster from the opening in 1622(21) to 1637 at Bogota. If this is the case, this would definitely place the coin in that time period from 1621-1637. If the mark is not a T, we know that Bogota switched to the pillars and waves in 1651. Either way, if we are confident the mint mark is an R, we know the coin came from Bogota and dates earlier than 1651 and later than 1622.

Where did you get the coin? It could very well be from the Atocha since a number of these coins were present at her sinking in 1622.

Hope this helps. If anyone can ad anything to my deductions would be great. These are just based on what I see in the first set of pictures. Maybe someone sees something else or has some different information other than what I have provided.

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

OP
OP
Relic_hunter1557

Relic_hunter1557

Feb 15, 2007
I got this coin off of ebay, it's my first spanish cob coin. I did notice when i was looking at it under magnification that it looks very much like a T above an R. I have a 2 reale that i can also post pics of if anyone wants to see it and thanks for the info :)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Trez said:
sorry,
the flash just drowns out the detail needed.

Trez
RelicHunter, try taking the picture without the flash. Outside sun works best, but indoors a halogen light(s) works fine. Make sure your camera is set right, on outdoors or indoors, and Macro.(flower icon).

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Guys, sunlight will certainly give you a good overall lighting source, but to reveal details, a directional lighting environment is better. I actually see more detail in some of the pictures in the first post than in the new ones.

The directional lighting will cast shadows and highlight raised areas that may not be visible when lighted from directly above or all around.

Robert in SC

OP
OP
Relic_hunter1557

Relic_hunter1557

Feb 15, 2007
Well i can defenitly see the outline of the R, as for the pictures i will try again tomorrow lol

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robert,

Minted in Bogota ?

Nope.
I'll sit back again and see what else comes up, Bogota... as Sante Fe de Bogota
No way.

Trez

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Trez,

OK, but you offer no evidence other wise. If not, why not?

Robert in SC

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mint mark..........is the top letter.

NR would be Bogota (Colombia)......would it not? or S broken E which looks like SF (Sante Fe de Bogota)

I'll go with Potosi mint.....(backwards P and TR as the assayer)

I am now leaning towards Spanish mint........upon seeing the newer photos, is that a escutcheon of Portugal I see in the shield?

Maybe with better photo...we can see more.

Trez

PS> Mark Martin..........you were robbed

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Now thats a reply! Ok I see the backwards P. The R could be the combined TR mark.

What I saw was NR with T in the middle.

Now that wasn't so hard. You are the expert here, I was giving it a novice try!

Robert in SC

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGecy said:
Now thats a reply! Ok I see the backwards P. The R could be the combined TR mark.

What I saw was NR with T in the middle.

Now that wasn't so hard. You are the expert here, I was giving it a novice try!

Robert in SC

Robert,
We all gave it a shot............
I still don't really feel confident as to it's pedigree.
and believe me........I'm no expert, but thanks.
The last photos...look more like II to the left of shield, denomination. I'm stumped

Trez

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It looks like the Greek Cross to me ....but thats just my humble opinion ;) ;D

Attachments

• Greek Cross.jpg
    Greek Cross.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 815
  • coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 828

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cruz Griega the Lima mint started this design in 1571...it was also used by other mints Cartagena, Bogota, La Plata and Potosi until 1652 when they changed to Pillar Dollar

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chagy,

I don't think the cross is in question here...
I think the assayer and mint might be of more help, so I ask you...what do you see?

The first set of photos look like one set of letters...backwards P and TR or R or T or ???? just can't tell
The last set look more like maybe two letters present...or a denomination II
I'm at a loss on this one......

Trez

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread