OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
fisher f-4 bounty hunter tracker IV garrett AT PRO
thanks marvedindon for the info,i will wright this down and catalog it with each coin.thanks agian

EnriqueMayor

Dec 13, 2013
Madrid
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks marvedindon for the info,i will wright this down and catalog it with each coin.thanks agian

You are welcome, Dim. Sorry but my English level is very low. What means "i will wright this down"?

Thanks,
Henry :hello:

OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
marvedindon sorry i ment to say write it down on a piece of paper.some times my spelling can be off when i'm thinking and typeing to fast.sorry for the confusion.LOL

EnriqueMayor

Dec 13, 2013
Madrid
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the explanation Friend, although I still don´t understand it at all :tongue3:

Greetings,
Henry

OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
mondays hunt up-date

hunted from 12:00 to 4:30 found 4 more.we had some rain and a good north wind move some sand for me.these cobs were all found in the wet sand,very deep and faint signals.3 were in the same general area in the wet sand,one was further down the beach.none were in the dry sand today.did a good grid search and covered the hot area pretty good.i need some wind and waves to move some sand or a nice warm calm day so i can get in the water.i don't think i got them all,there's allways more.just need the right conditions.wish me luck and i will post an up-date on my next hunt.

Attachments

• SANY4299.JPG
    SANY4299.JPG
    411.4 KB · Views: 155
  • SANY4300.JPG
    SANY4300.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 125
  • SANY4301.JPG
    SANY4301.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 141
  • SANY4302.JPG
    SANY4302.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 133

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any other items found with the coins? You seem to have a very hot spot, I would maybe borrow a detector that goes a bit deeper, or maybe do some digging. If you found this many, there are still more out there. Good Luck!

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
It's possible someone scattered them their on purpose. Fee-bay is loaded with lots like these. Just my two bits.

hi tarpon anything could be possible.but it would seem like a lot of trouble to pull a prank.plus with the way they look with the sand stuck to them and the blue from the copper leaching out i would guess they have been in the groung a while.

To touch on what "tarpon..." mentioned... to a sane person, yes, seems like it would be a lot of effort to screw with someone in this manner, but these can be had cheaply (see below), so it wouldn't be expensive at all. Seems like a lot of effort to go out your way to, say, torture an animal... AND THEN you read about the "person" that sticks a kitten in an oven... More on topic, how many times have you read on here where someone detected that same old ca.1620 Mexican 8R cheapo Atocha-style cast... even at a fairly well-buried depth b/c of shifting sands/soil??

Also related to the point of how plentiful they are out of Spain on eBay... because of that, I'm always suspicious when I see reports of maravedis finds here in the Americas (particular ex-Spanish territory now in the U.S. - Florida, California...). As has been stated, this was the copper small change of (home country aka "peninsular") Spain... generally 34 mrvd = 1 real, though the rate fluctuated, there were revaluations of older pieces as seen on a few of diminator's finds, etc.). Like tarpon said, you can buy handfuls of metal detected pieces out of Spain, likely all found in clusters... usually with a telltale sandy patina to them... and they be had cheaply like Roman pieces (under $1 a piece, depending on condition/quantity). Thus, they are ripe targets for eBay flippers who will sell them individually for maybe $5-10, calling them Spanish pirate treasure cobs to get the target audience's knickers in a bunch.

An extension of this is that certain resellers will extend the BS into an outright lie, claiming that these were found on American soil - thus transforming them into magical, historical COLONIAL AMERICA... Spanish pirate treasure cobs. I have observed several instances where the I've seen that a seller bought some of these lots from Spain sellers and some weeks later, listed them in such a manner. There's one seller along these lines who actually claims they themselves dug them on a trip to Spain!!

Now, that said... I honestly don't know much about the circulation of the maravedis copper coinage in the Spanish colonies (incl. Florida and California/what we won in the Mex. War). Obviously some would have at least made it over from Spain in pockets/personal stashes, and very early on (early to mid 1500s) some were actually produced at Santo Domingo (DR), but I don't believe they were imported/used here in any great quantity. What they used predominantly for small change, I don't know... I focus on the silver... HOWEVER, I have seen enough on boards like this one and a Mexican treasure hunting site I peek at once in a while about finds supposedly made on this side of the Atlantic to be convinced that at least SOME made it here (mainly earlier cob maravedis of the late 1500s-early/mid 1600s, like these pieces... really never the later milled portrait types). Clearly, dimeinator's finds are examples of this.

Could be a pocket spill (was the coastline further out at that spot back then??)... maybe a small wreck that wasn't necessarily transporting any great quantity of bullion coinage... who knows. Interesting finds, though.

BTW - the roundish ones, minted in Segovia (with the aqueduct mintmark) aren't actually "cobs" by style but milled coinage... Segovia in the late 1500s well into the 1600s was the one Spain mint that had this minting technology (though they were still producing some hammered silver cobs).

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
hi maipenrai i have not found anything else old besides the coins.just the usual bottle caps, corroded pennies,and other beach stuff.i did dig some iron signals to see what they were but they were just iron chips which these beaches are famous for.no nails or older objects.so now when my AT-PRO signals iron on the iron audo i do not dig.i will be posting an up-date shortly with todays finds.thanks for your support and interest.

OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
another up-date

well your not going to believe this.i hunted from 2 to 5 today and found 2 more cobs.i just don't know what to think.i ask myself if i was reading this thread would i believe it myself.LOL.i just want to say right off this is no joke or hoax on my part.i am really finding these cobs.how they got there i do not know.if someone planted them i cannot fathom why.so anyway here is todays story.i put fresh batteries in the AT-PRO because the were running low on the last hunt.both cobs were once agian very deep in the wet sand with a very faint signal.this is pretty much all i dug because i have been pounding this area and i have most of the surface trash cleaned out.except the iron chip signals which i do not dig.the only other thing i dug today was a corroded modern penny which was at the same depth.my only theroy is where the sand might have come from.the beach gets replenished from time to time.i don't know if they truck the sand in or if they pump it out of the gulf.alls i know is i am having a blast finding these cobs.it's better than corroded pennies and coronna caps any day.LOL.both cobs were found in the same general area as well.i know it's very hard to believe but it is what it is.i will be posting up-dates whenever i do a hunt.i'm just waiting on some sand to move now. .......on a side note i did find one other cob on this beach in 2009 and posted in this forum it is probably in the arcives.the area that cob was found at was 1/2 to 1 mile south of the area i'm in right now.i hunted that area hard and never did find another one.wish me luck and i will keep you up-dated on my hunts.thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• SANY4304.JPG
    SANY4304.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 175
  • SANY4306.JPG
    SANY4306.JPG
    308.7 KB · Views: 168

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what size pockets the Spanish had, but that seems like a lot of change for a pocket spill, and I dont think they were planted. Maybe they arent worth as much as silver, but I know that I surly wouldnt throw them away, just to play some game. They came from somewhere, either a wreck or from land. If land, then there could well be a camp, but they DID come from somewhere! I wouldnt let that area go, until I searched ever sq inch, and then again a few more times. Even if they were only worth a buck a piece, how many days to you find that many dollar coins? Of all the possibilities, I think seeding the beach with old coins, is the least possible! Go for it!!

OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
hi maipenrai thanks for the support.i have been hunting this area exclusively and have not hit any of my other beaches yet.every time i can get a hunt in i head to this spot.like you and i agree a 1600's coin is better than a dime or penney any day no matter where they came from.i am in florida untill may and i will keep going over this spot whenever i can get out to hunt.i know there is more there.thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
up-date

i hunted the day after christmas from 3 to 5.managed to find one more.very deep,very faint.was down 12-14-16 in.i know there are more coins there.i just need a good wind or storm to move sand off them.

Attachments

• SANY4307.JPG
    SANY4307.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 191
  • SANY4308.JPG
    SANY4308.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 181

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Those are really cool finds and a great spot. Make sure you keep it a secret or you will be surprised at how busy your beach can get.
You can also post the finds on the shipwrecks forum as there was talk about some mystery wreck in that general area where coins were
washing up on the beaches.

Good luck and hope you find some silver or gold ones as well!

Makton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions