recently found cobs questions

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
fisher f-4 bounty hunter tracker IV garrett AT PRO
hi i haven't found any cobs in a while.but yesterday and today i lucked out and got into a hot spot and found 9 cobs.3 the first day and 6 the second.i have a few questions i would apreciate your help with.i don't think they are silver they appear to be copper.it this right?they were all found in the same general aera but some are round and some are just struck,could they be from the same ship?from the pictures do you have any guesses as to the dates or mints or possibly the fleet?to not give away my new hunting spot lets just say they were found on the gulf coast somewhere between clearwater beach and st.pete beach.i would greatly apreciate any info on these from this knowledgeable forum.more photos and info can be provided as needed.thanks

Attachments

• SANY4291.JPG
    SANY4291.JPG
    562.4 KB · Views: 486
  • SANY4292.JPG
    SANY4292.JPG
    583.9 KB · Views: 413
  • SANY4294.JPG
    SANY4294.JPG
    588.9 KB · Views: 681
  • SANY4295.JPG
    SANY4295.JPG
    564.4 KB · Views: 421
  • SANY4297.JPG
    SANY4297.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 1,120

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They appear to be Spanish copper coins called maravedis.
Don...
PS: One of them fits this description: (1601-1621 vintage)
2%20Maravedis%201603%20Segovia.jpg

If the diameter is about 16.5 mm, then it's a 2 maravedis; if 20.5, then a 4 maravedis; and if 28mm, then an 8 maravedis.
PPS: At least 9 different mints produced a coin of this style.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
hi mackaydon thanks for the reply.do you think these could be from a shipwreck?i was wondering why i was only finding copper and no silver.it just seems strange that i found these in a very small area.probably 30 X 20 yards.unless they got pumped up from the gulf for a beach replenishment

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, it could be from a shipwreck, but not part of manifested 'treasure';more like personal possessions of one or more crew members. Then again, it could be from a salvage campsite; not from the ship or its crew, but from a land based salvage team. No doubt, other scenarios could be put forth.
You may wish to mark the paper next to these coins as 1a and 1b, etc. so as to facilitate discerning which obverse goes with which reverse.
Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It would take some time to study each coin.
I see the letter "B" standing alone on one coin.
The "B" represent the mintmark of Burgos, a city in northern Spain that was once the historic capital of the region called Castile.
Indeed you did find a hot spot; keep digging and good luck.
Don....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On one side of the large notched coin is the Roman number 'VIII' and on the reverse side of that coin is the number '41'. This suggests the coin was reevaluation to 8 maravedis in the year 1641. A good source of information regarding maravedis coins is located here: MARAVEDIS.NET: monedas españolas
Don....

OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
thanks for all your help don.i figured the people on this forum would have some info on these right away.it would probably take me weeks of computer searching to find out what you guys allready know.lol.i am resting up my arm for my next hunt.i hunted 3 days in a row in that area for about 6 hr each day,my arm is killing me.i will probably be going out agian on monday.most of the coins were in a good depth range for my detector except for the round one.it was a very faint deeper signal.when i go back on monday i'll be consintraiting on those weaker signals.thanks agian for the info you have given me.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! Amazing finds! Nothing like the mystique of old spanish coins. Congrats, finding 9 of these is anyone's dream come true!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
dimeinator,
You may wish to draw a chart of where these coins have been(and in the future are to be) found.
Save all other artifacts; they may help date your site. So far, you know your site most likely postdates 1640 since 1641 is the date on one coin.
These coins were the 'pocket change' of the day. Your finds may have nothing to do with a shipwreck. You might research Spanish history in that area--'on the QT', of course. Was there a Spanish settlement within that immediate area?
Don.....

OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
hi don fort desoto is somewhat near the area.so yes there probably were some settlements around.it could be an old time pocket spill.

OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
wow 1898 i thought fort desoto was a lot older than that.the pirate gaspar is very popular in this area.they have a big celebration and parade called gasparilla where pirates take over the town.i think it happens in the springtime.

OP
OP
D

dimeinator

Dec 22, 2009
mich summer fl winter
Detector(s) used
hi marvedindon i could not open the link to view,there was a problem somewhere.i can't wait to get back to the site on monday.i will definatly give an up-date of what i find.

EnriqueMayor

Dec 13, 2013
Madrid
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have problems with the pictures hoster and I'll try to read a tutorial to I can fix it.

Oh it's a beautiful part of our history and I wish you all the luck of the world :hello2:

:hello:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi i haven't found any cobs in a while.but yesterday and today i lucked out and got into a hot spot and found 9 cobs.3 the first day and 6 the second.i have a few questions i would apreciate your help with.i don't think they are silver they appear to be copper.it this right?they were all found in the same general aera but some are round and some are just struck,could they be from the same ship?from the pictures do you have any guesses as to the dates or mints or possibly the fleet?to not give away my new hunting spot lets just say they were found on the gulf coast somewhere between clearwater beach and st.pete beach.i would greatly apreciate any info on these from this knowledgeable forum.more photos and info can be provided as needed.thanks
It's possible someone scattered them their on purpose. Fee-bay is loaded with lots like these. Just my two bits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions