Cobs???

EnriqueMayor

Dec 13, 2013
Madrid
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Hookahman! Oh it is very difficult. Most beaches are completely full of modern waste.
I think you should look in areas further from coasts if you really want a cob

All my best,
Henry

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches are also being renourished (resanded), they are pumping tons (as in feet) of fresh sand on many of the treasure beaches, best chance to find one is after a storm

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that your chances of finding a Cob anywhere else is better than on a beach in Florida. Like the others have said; trash , beach replenishment and a number of varying reasons would be against you. If you're bent on hunting the beach for a Cob, research this and other forums and pay close attention to seasons, weather and such to increase your chances. There's a lot of great info to be researched? After that Luck and diligence has All to do with it.
Personally, I have found all of my Spanish Silver in farm fields. Good Luck :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
hookahman

hookahman

Aug 6, 2013
Off in the farm fields!?!? I expect that was unexpected. Thanks for the encouraging words. I can only hope I get the time to hit the beach. Hopefully I will have a story for you all

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off in the farm fields!?!? I expect that was unexpected. Thanks for the encouraging words. I can only hope I get the time to hit the beach. Hopefully I will have a story for you all

its fairly common! all you really need is a old 1700s or 1800s site. what state are you in?

down here in florida we need some type of erosion to occur to have a good or very good chance at a Spanish silver on the beaches.......and erosion is very , very rare and usually doesn't last more than a day or two!

chuck.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its fairly common! all you really need is a old 1700s or 1800s site. what state are you in? down here in florida we need some type of erosion to occur to have a good or very good chance at a Spanish silver on the beaches.......and erosion is very , very rare and usually doesn't last more than a day or two! chuck.

There you go Hookhaman, another voice of experience. Listen to these guys in Florida and elsewhere, they know there beaches. Not to discourage you but even after research, experience, ect., the place and situation have to be "on" and the window has got to be "open" for your chances to be good. That window of opportunity is often small.

Spanish Silver was used here in colonial times more than other coins. Kinda hard to believe. If your near any areas that were traveled or settled then, especially commerce like farms and trade areas you have a pretty good chance with persistence to find Spanish Silver. Good Luck!

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hookahman, To answer your question as you asked.

Any 1715 fleet beach south of the Inlet that has an entrance, lol. But I like Green Cabin area for finding your first without a storm. Your chances are Ziltch if you never try, I believe still to this day you can find a cob from our beaches at any time of the year (Period) You don't have to dive off the beaches or dig in the dunes...just be in the energy zone when conditions are right...it takes years to learn those beach conditions and it helps being able to watch the beach on a daily basis for those changes...it may only be a 1 tide change and then its gone, but yes you can find a cob without a storm. My first cob was working the energy zone at Green Cabin, worn 1 reales...no storm and lots of sand, I got wet but I got one. So if you want it bad enough...work for it.
Don't get disappointed if you don't find anything, if you want it bad enough and put the time in and know what to look for, you will find a cob from one of the wrecks here.

Trez

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hookahman, To answer your question as you asked.

Any 1715 fleet beach south of the Inlet that has an entrance, lol. But I like Green Cabin area for finding your first without a storm. Your chances are Ziltch if you never try, I believe still to this day you can find a cob from our beaches at any time of the year (Period) You don't have to dive off the beaches or dig in the dunes...just be in the energy zone when conditions are right...it takes years to learn those beach conditions and it helps being able to watch the beach on a daily basis for those changes...it may only be a 1 tide change and then its gone, but yes you can find a cob without a storm. My first cob was working the energy zone at Green Cabin, worn 1 reales...no storm and lots of sand, I got wet but I got one. So if you want it bad enough...work for it.
Don't get disappointed if you don't find anything, if you want it bad enough and put the time in and know what to look for, you will find a cob from one of the wrecks here.

Trez

well, yeah if you want to be glass half full about it!!:laughing7: trez,......you coming to the cookout?

chuck.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff there Trez you almost made me put my headlamp on and go.

rancherjl

Jan 22, 2013
Palm Bay, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i ---- Garrett Ace 350 -------
propointer---------
wireless headphones---
lische with T handle --- stealth & rtg scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have zero chance if you do not try.
have fun and maybe some good luck will find you.
any day on the beach is a good day and I learn something everytime.
Mel Fisher said "today is the day"---see you at the cookout

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions