Possible 4 Marvedis?

CitadelGrad08

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2014
Pacific NW
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I posted this to the "what is it?" section, but figured I would try here as well. Sorry if that is against the rules:

Hello! I am new to Treasure Net and coin collecting. Recently I have started collecting Spanish coins (mainly shipwrecks and cobs) and I picked up this small coin because it was labeled as a Spanish 4 Maradevis from Carlos II era of 1665-1700. Upon looking at various online sites I have yet to find a Maravedis with similar markings and worry I bought a fake.

The coin is roughly the size of a US penny. I can make out the letters C A and numbers 94 on one side that appears next to some sort of shield or crest which looks to be a castle. On the other side there appears to be another shield around a lion.

It appears to be copper, but is more shiny than I expected for being such an old coin. The reason I believe it is a fake is that all of the Maravedis I have seen have different markings next the shields on both sides. Also the seller labeled it as a 4 Maravedis but it looks closer to a 2 Maravedis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did not spend a lot of money on this, but it would be reassuring if it is real and not a fake.

copper.JPG copper2.JPG copper3.JPG copper4.JPG

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
These coins are very hard to attribute.

A few months ago, I bought a Philip II, VIII Maravedis. This particular coin was counterstamped with a 1641 date under the rule of Philip IV, making it impossible (at least for me) to determine the exact issue date.

Many, many early Spanish Maravedis cobs were counterstamped in the mid to late 1600s.

To me, yours looks to be an authentic Maravedis, probably from the time of Charles II. Looking at your first image of the coin, I might be able to see some of the roman numerals indicating the denomination just above the lion. (A 4 Maravedis around this time would be marked with the roman numeral "IIII", rather than the expected "IV"). Some of the examples I've seen will have small decorative symbols before and after the roman numerals, which makes interpretation in your case all the more difficult. Based on what I see, I'm thinking yours is a II Maravedis. I don't know how to tell if the '94 date is original or counterstamped, but I'm going to guess counterstamp (the date's appearance and location is very similar to the counterstamp date on my coin).

In any event, these coins seem to be plentiful and don't have any great value ($5.00 - $25.00 for commons) and generally trade on eye appeal.

FWIW,

TCK

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd say it's legit; similar to this one:
2%20maravedis%20Linares%201694.jpg

Tipo de moneda: 2 MARAVEDIS
Ceca: LINARES
año: 1694
Peso: 5.5 gr
Medida: 21 mm

anverso: CAROLVS · II · D · G alrededor de un escudo coronado de un castillo con fecha a ambos lados 16 --94
reverso: HISPANIARVM · REX alrededor de un escudo coronado con un leon, con ceca a la izquierda y valor II a la derecha
Don.......

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a sweet coin!

Today's the day! ~Mel Fisher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread