Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referred to this forum by another member. My buddy found this last weekend. I have been looking everywhere & have not been able to get a solid match. A lot of the gold & silver coins look similar. Any possibility that this is a counterfeit? Any help on an ID & date range would be greatly appreciated!

attachment-1.jpg attachment-2.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope someone can help you buddy. I have looked and looked and just can't seem to id that baby. It's very interesting. I love a good mystery but hope it gets solved eventually

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope someone can help you buddy. I have looked and looked and just can't seem to id that baby. It's very interesting. I love a good mystery but hope it gets solved eventually
Yeah, I have searched quite a bit & can't find anything close that's copper.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Could it possibly be bronze and not copper? Usually copper would patina a greenish color. I'd make a electrolysis bath to clean it up and show more detail. I've seen copies from gift shops at museums at the beach and they usually corrode rather quickly. That is if that's where it was found?
Good luck and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it possibly be bronze and not copper? Usually copper would patina a greenish color. I'd make a electrolysis bath to clean it up and show more detail. I've seen copies from gift shops at museums at the beach and they usually corrode rather quickly. That is if that's where it was found? Good luck and keep us posted! Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
it could definitely be bronze. I was told by a collector of these to do nothing else to it. It's not one of those copies from the beach. It was found at a strictly colonial site a long ways from the coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread