Newbie with Gold Coin from shipwreck (I think)...

renangle

Mar 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, there...this is my first post, so I hope its not that bad. I recently received a gold coin that was owned by a family member that passed away. I believe it was found on the beach on the Florida coast. Since that time appears to have a COA and some markings on it. Since finding this site, I figured I would try to determine what exactly it is and perhaps the grade quality and perhaps value. I'm not looking to sell, but thought some background on the item would be good. Many thanks in advance. renangle

IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1384.JPG

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be an 8 escudo from a 1715 Plate Fleet shipwreck - might be worth a few grand - nice coin! You could contact the grading service and get the sales history on the coin perhaps?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You have an 8 Escudos from Mexico City. The original weight was 27.07 grams of 0.9170 pure gold; minted during the reign of Philip V. Accordingly, it is classified as KM#57.1; produced during the period 1701 through 1713. No date is visible (to me, anyway) and no date is given by NGC, a very reputable grading service.

A catalog from 2013 lists the ND (no date) coin as $3,500 in VF condition; that would be for a 'no-dinged' no sea found coin. At auction, however, you may be able to get even higher than the $3,500 depending on the hype, but honest, narrative you can put with the marketing effort; should you ever wish to sell.
Don....

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
The number on the back appears to be an auction lot number... If you can find the auction house that sold it, there may be further details about the coin available...

OP
OP
R

renangle

Mar 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the reply. The coin was a gift in exchange for some work done in the early 80s from what I understand. The family member that had it before me had it certied so that where the casing came from. Again no real desire to sell it, but wanted to have a better understanding of what exactly it is. Again thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread