42.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 124

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2fakes.jpg
Comparison of the 2 fakes. They make replica's (sounds better than fake) out of Silver, Gold, Pewter, the list goes on.

Mr. Fort B Detector,

The photo's...not really good. How about natural indirect light and some close-ups. Weight of the "coin" in question, is it even silver?
Looks really really suspicious, my first thought as soon as I saw it, Fantasy Piece- age less than 10 years.
Not to say for sure, but from what I see from those pics...that's the way I'm leaning.
I see L= Lima and a 8 on the obverse...but I don't see the word COPY.

In fact follow the link, scan down a 1/4 page to the Fake recent find...and wallah !!! there is your friends piece.
http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html

Sorry, I know the excitement...but such it is.

Trez

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said earlier... its not my coin. In fact its many many miles from here in PA, so I can't hold it or take the pictures.

In checking with him, according to his scale its 6 grams, and confirmed to be silver via an acid test (and rang up properly on his Deus) I'm not trying to discount what you are saying, as I (and he) appreciate the input. Its just curious that someone would possibly fake real silver?

And to which post in that blog are you referring? In it I see a pair of articles dealing with a gold fake but none dealing with a silver coin.

What I do know for sure is I am not an expert on spanish coins, thus the reason to post it (to help him ID it)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Fort B Detector,

The photo's...not really good. How about natural indirect light and some close-ups. Weight of the "coin" in question, is it even silver?
Looks really really suspicious, my first thought as soon as I saw it, Fantasy Piece- age less than 10 years.
Not to say for sure, but from what I see from those pics...that's the way I'm leaning.
I see L= Lima and a 8 on the obverse...but I don't see the word COPY.

In fact follow the link, scan down a 1/4 page to the Fake recent find...and wallah !!! there is your friends piece.
The Treasure Beaches Report brought to you from Florida's Treasure Coast.: April 2011

Sorry, I know the excitement...but such it is.

Trez

Yep, I'd have no problem making a large bet it's a modern fake.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Trez is as knowledgeable as any when it comes to Spanish colonial coinage. I'm not an expert by any means, but I viewed the pics before reading the intro post. He can't damage a crude fantasy piece any further.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The fact that this piece weighs just 6 grams yet is suppose to be an 8 reales cob is an immediate red flag that the 'coin' is a fake.
The 8R should weight about 27 grams. Where did you get the idea the coin was a 2R when the "8" is quite clear? Had a "2" be shown in the proper place, I could understand the 'call' of the 'coin' being an under-weight 2R, but the "8" appears too clear to be mistaken as a "2"; at least to these eyes.
Don...

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guess it was a 2R was strictly due to the weight and it's size. As you can see, I don't know much about these personally. You all have way more knowledge about them, and I'd like to thank you for sharing your expertise. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread