Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What does it weigh? Need pic of other side.

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't weighed it yet other side is toasted but will try and clean it to see if there's any detail

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm also going to say not a cob. Certainly looks like an authentic relic, though. Will be interesting to finally get a positive ID.

TCK

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as weights for 1/2's are concerned. I have seen / found halves that weighed 2.1...2.3 grams. Also, underweight as well.

Trez

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
as far as weights for 1/2's are concerned. I have seen / found halves that weighed 2.1...2.3 grams. Also, underweight as well.

Trez

I doubt you found overweight half reales - more than likely they were underweight one reales. I have a one reale from Lima that weighs 2.1 grams. The Spaniards didn't mint overweight coins - they were always trimmed to exact or slightly under correct weight.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt you found overweight half reales - more than likely they were underweight one reales. I have a one reale from Lima that weighs 2.1 grams. The Spaniards didn't mint overweight coins - they were always trimmed to exact or slightly under correct weight.

(I will be nice)
more likely underweight 1's...ah nope, I'm positive 1/2 reales. Planchets were huge very much like a 1 but struck with 1/2 real die.

Believe this ! There are Authentic Genuine Cobs time period cobs that were both struck 1. Overweight and 2. Underweight but yes I will agree (not the Standard) but just like Mints of today, errors did get through the system.
As far as the Spaniards trimming to exact weights or under cutting weights? The Spaniards? not sure they did any of the real work involved with either the actual Striking, Weighing and trimming of the cobs...I'm leaning towards more like the native Slaves who were "employed" by such Spaniards. The Spaniards were too lazy to actually "work" but they did manage the mints, did the designs of the dies, maybe assayed the silver, and approved some of the quality control, as they were responsible for that...but a Spaniard doing the actual work???, LMAO. Even today Spain doesn't work for the minted coins they lost, they wait till someone else does the work and then they step in and take all the credit.
Cheers,
True - As the general rule of thumb...be suspect of overweight/underweight cobs and 2nd
Never believe a Fishermans tale (Jedi mind trick) :wink:

Trez

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THINK I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE YOU FOUND IT - KNOW OF LIKE 50 OTHERS FOUND THERE - SO ID SAY IT IS GOOD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread