Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Pulled this one out of same site yesterday. It was very, very deep. I thought it may have been silver and it has been soaking in vinegar for over 24 hours. I put it back in vinegar. I had a couple other pieces that I was pretty sure were pennies and put them in vinegar too. Those pieces are almost completely dissolved. I used nitric acid to test it. I know people may think it is a penny; however, copper turns bright blue in nitric acid and zinc has a violent reaction and gives off black smoke. Silver turns white. I almost didn't want to test it. Probably should have taken pics before I tested it...thought for the next one. Don, see if you can make anything out of this one. This is me taking pictures through my loop. I can ask wife to take better pictures tonight if needed.

IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0973.JPG

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The bottom pic seems to have two columns. Maybe there are three and, if so, it might be a nickel three-cent piece from between 1865 and 1889. The diameter of a 3-cent piece is 17.9 mm (same as the 'rosie').
Don.......

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah. I see what you are talking about. Probably would have a third column if I hadn't burned it off testing with acid...smack. I will let it soak in vinegar and see what happens over the text few days. Anything more aggressive will destroy features.

Doubt this is of any help but this is what it looked like coming out of the water:

cca.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread