My Great Grandmothers Coin ID

LCoff

Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

So my great grandmother just recently passed away at 103. As we cleaned out her room I found this coin. Being sentimental to me I had the coin mounted so I could wear it on a chain. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me more about this coin. (Is it real, what wreck it might have come from). She lived in Cuba for half her life then migrated to South Florida.

Thanks in advanced,

Lucas

IMG_4569.JPG IMG_4568.JPG

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Lucas, welcome to TNet. Based on the size of the bezel, I would say that it is a 1 Reale. It was minted in Mexico City (first picture). The second picture has no discernible features that aid in identification.

OP
OP
L

LCoff

Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucas, welcome to TNet. Based on the size of the bezel, I would say that it is a 1 Reale. It was minted in Mexico City (first picture). The second picture has no discernible features that aid in identification.

Hey Diver thanks for the response. Yea i am having trouble identifying the backside of the coin (the second picture). Would you happen to be able to tell me if it is a real coin?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the cross in the first photo --is called a "Jerusalem cross" it was used on silver cob type coins made in the mexico city mint in the 1600 to early 1700 era (some had fluer de lis ends --others had a bar type end) -- your coin is a small one likely a 1 reale with the second photobeing as worn as it is --very likely it is a shipwreck coin --often one side is worn or damaged from laying on the ocean floor being sanded away at by the shifting sands over the years

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'll wait to give further opinions and give others a chance to weigh in with their thoughts. I will add that there are some features on the second picture that can aid in identification. It is a matter of orientation. Second picture: top of the cob is a 9 o'clock.

OP
OP
L

LCoff

Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks all for the responses. That is very interesting about the Jerusalem cross. Yea the backside of the coin has really got me stumped. Is it true that you can tell if a coin if fake or real by the "pitting" or bursting bubble marks from being made in the mold?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Hey thanks all for the responses. That is very interesting about the Jerusalem cross. Yea the backside of the coin has really got me stumped. Is it true that you can tell if a coin if fake or real by the "pitting" or bursting bubble marks from being made in the mold?

There are tell-tale signs of replicas. A main feature of fakes is the presence of a casting seam. Your coin is mounted so there is no way to see the side. Like you mentioned sometimes "pitting" caused by air bubbles in a casting is a giveaway. Mushy details when no wear is present. In some crude examples, there will be downright nonsensical devices in the cob.

When it comes to fantasy pieces, typically they are the larger denominations. There is not much incentive to fake the smaller denominations. Not to say, that there aren't fakes, but it is a low probability that one encounters fantasy 1R.

My first gut reaction when looking at the photos before reading the backstory was that it wasn't genuine. I don't like that the visible castle in the lower right quadrant is so mushy but the field in the quadrant is clear yet the entire piece front and back exhibits heavy sea corrosion. On the shield side, there seems to be some sharp lines around some of the devices but the entire back is heavily worn due to corrosion. These sharp lines might just be a result of flash or lighting effects. Overall, my initial reaction has waned and feel that the piece is genuine. Not many fake 1R end up in Great Grandma's estate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread