NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found my 1st cob in early January. It's 1.5g and 15mm. Uneducated guess is Philip IV 1/2 reale Mexico City mint (only because out of 1,000s of images I've scrolled through, it most closely resembles the 1st cob shown here): Spanish Silver Cobs. Many thanks for any information!

1600s Spanish cob reverse.jpg 1600s Spanish cob obverse.jpg 1600s Spanish cob reverse2.jpg 1600s Spanish cob obverse2.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It's an early piece minted in Mexico City. Based on the scale of the palm of your hand, it is likely a 1 Reale perhaps a 2 Reale if the weight checks out. The shield sign is an early Hapsburg. There are no elements of the Bourbon family visible so it is not a Philip V.

Well, shoot. The OP's text didn't show in their post when I replied. Knowing that it weighs 1.5 g, it is obviously a 1/2 reale. Also, being a 1/2 reale disregard the chatter above about shields as there is no shield on 1/2 Reales instead a monogram.

Looking closer at the reverse and manipulating the contrast, you'll note the dot over the P, a subtle V, and then another dot over S. This style was implemented during Philip IV (1621-1665).

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJLargeCent

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, DD and Don! I appreciate the insight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions