Need some help identifying this Spanish cob found yesterday in Colombia (the country)

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solved! help identifying this Spanish cob found yesterday in Colombia (the country)

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I searched a great spot that was once a colonial Spanish village near where I live in Colombia. This former colonial town was in existence from the early 1600's to the late 1800's and I was totally psyched about the opportunity to detect it. Please see attached photos. The "find of the day" was made by my girlfriend with her Garrett Ace 250- a Spanish cob! It's a small one, found about 6 inches down- either a 1/4th real or perhaps a 1/2 real. We're trying to date the cob but it looks like it might be difficult to do as it is worn. If anyone has any ideas about the age or how to identify we'd really appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 152
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solved

Just a quick update with some information I received on the Spanish cob from the Coin Community website. It appears the cob is a "medio" or half real cob of Philip V from the first half of the 18th century from South America and most likely the Potosi Mint. I found a similar 2 real coin on Ebay with a similar cross (see below). So looks like this identification is solved.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 5.13.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 5.13.58 PM.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 142

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread