Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is truly what I think it is then it's my oldest find to date...
Scan1.jpg
Scan2.jpg

Just wondering how a 300 year-old coin ended up in a park in an area settled in the early 1800s

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First how does it end up there? Someone of course carried it there. I found a 1300 year old Byzantine coin in South Carolina once. The plantation owner apparently collected coins. A few Roman coins were found also. Easy test for silver- drop it a few inches above a wooden table. If it rings, it's probably silver. Lead or pewter will go thud.

Doesn't look Spanish. I'd look up 17th century silver coins in a search engine and see if you can find something close.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't validate it's authentic but it does resemble an 8R 'Pillars and Waves' cob.
The '8' is visible at the 4/5 o'clock position to the 'pillar' on the left.
Based on its condition, it should weigh about 25 grams; normally ~27+ grams.
Don.......

OP
OP
T

TheHappyCanadian

Sep 14, 2014
Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't validate it's authentic but it does resemble an 8R 'Pillars and Waves' cob.
The '8' is visible at the 4/5 o'clock position to the 'pillar' on the left.
Based on its condition, it should weigh about 25 grams; normally ~27+ grams.
Don.......

That's odd... my scale shows it's only 16.5 grams

Attachments

• 20160508_212002.jpg
    20160508_212002.jpg
    859.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TheHappyCanadian

Sep 14, 2014
Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First how does it end up there? Someone of course carried it there. I found a 1300 year old Byzantine coin in South Carolina once. The plantation owner apparently collected coins. A few Roman coins were found also. Easy test for silver- drop it a few inches above a wooden table. If it rings, it's probably silver. Lead or pewter will go thud.

Doesn't look Spanish. I'd look up 17th century silver coins in a search engine and see if you can find something close.

definitely silver, I love how you can find random things especially when there's a story behind them

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
THC,
At that weight, you can rule out a lesser value. it would have to weigh no more than about 13.5 grams to be a 4R.
IMO, that weight of 16.5g would indicate any of the following:
1. It has been clipped excessively--though it does not appear so or
2. It isn't authentic or
3. Both 1. and 2.
Don.....

OP
OP
T

TheHappyCanadian

Sep 14, 2014
Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bit of a stretch, but what about the heart variant?

GreenMtnDigger

Greenie
Aug 25, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Maybe it's just the lighting of the photos but looks like pewter to me. Looks like the edges have been chipping away. I've found several counterfeit pewter coins. If it is silver great find and hope you can ID it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TheHappyCanadian

Sep 14, 2014
Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Don, makes me all the more eager to get back out there and find the real thing!

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't speak to its authenticity, but it definately has the attributes of a Potosi cob on the obverse side...
Part of the mint name "Potosi" is visible along with some of the pillars and waves... On the reverse side of the coin, the cross and part of the lions and castles are present.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated by others... The denomination "8" is clearly visible but the weight is not correct so going with counterfeit personally...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, definately find out what the metal composition of the coin is as I have a period made counterfeit (1600's) that came from Port Royal, Jamaica and it was copper with PLATINUM plating! Bob Marx also recovered a few counterfeit cobs from Port Royal that were made the same way. Just a thought...

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting thread. Question: Where would someone get items such as these, as well as spanish quatros, scale armor etc appraised? Thanks

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Don...

Dirt_Hunter

Jun 1, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$T2eC16JHJIIE9qTYI5T8BRY0oNYICg~~_35.JPG
Looks to me like you found an old Spanish coin. Congrats on your find!

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
This is an interesting piece... FYI, without any doubt, it wants to be a Potosi 8R, late 1600s to ca. 1700-ish.

One thing regarding weight, many land/water recoveries that have been clearly eaten at by the elements can and do lose WAY more than just 2 grams out of ~27 grams total, so you can't always automatically say for such pieces "It's under X weight, probably fake".

That said, I wouldn't expect THIS piece, if indeed regal, to have lost that much mass. There clearly is some significant loss from the lower middle portion of the pillars side, but most of the rest of the coin is suffering more from intact encrustation than huge pores. Of course, cleaning/removing the crud would take a lot of oxidized metal, currently tied up in said crust, off the coin)... Anywho, from the pics, I would guess the piece to be 20-22 grams in the state it's in - perhaps in hand the corrosion might be be apparent?

In terms of the coin's detail, the pillars side looks "OK"... the cross side, even trying to decipher it through the doubling, which of course is a fairly common feature on late 1600s/early 1700s Potosi... has an odd look. Also, note that those few rubbed bare spots on the pillars side almost look a bit brassy/coppery... though that could be an illusion.

Curious coin. I'm inclined to believe it is indeed a contemporary counterfeit (contemporary referring to of THAT time, not modern).

Also, definately find out what the metal composition of the coin is as I have a period made counterfeit (1600's) that came from Port Royal, Jamaica and it was copper with PLATINUM plating! Bob Marx also recovered a few counterfeit cobs from Port Royal that were made the same way. Just a thought...
Would LOVE to see a pic of that... Do you happen to know how it was determined to be platinum on the surface - acid test, guessing, or...? (I would think they weren't using XRF or similar at the time).

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Great thread. Interesting to see the outcome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions