A very heavy 1/2R or is it a 1R?

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this one yesterday afternoon. Posted it in Todays finds last night. It weighed in at 2.0 Grams. At first i was thinking it was a clipped 1 real cob due to its weight, but after looking at my other Phillip V cobs im not so sure anymore. The design on the front of this one looks very similar to my half real cobs. Im no expert, but i thought the designs on the larger denom cobs were supposed to be different than the design on the halves. Could this be a overweight half real? and if so is that unusual? All of my other 1/2R cobs weigh 1.7g or less. The 3rd pic shows my most recent Phillip V cob beside the other 4 Phillip V 1/2R cobs ive dug. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• P5140003.JPG
    P5140003.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 154
  • P5140001.JPG
    P5140001.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 159
  • P5150001.JPG
    P5150001.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 157

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBR,
It is INDEED a 1/2 reales. Yes, they are unusual. As I have said in previous posts, I have found as well as others 1/2's weighing almost 2.1-2.3grams.
It is not the norm, again NOT the norm
Some 1/2s can actually contain small amounts of GOLD, Platinum which can throw the weight off, even if the planchet was same size as the 99.9% of the others minted.
Some 1/2s were struck on 1 real dies, and and 1 reales struck on 2s, and so forth. Some were struck and slipped through the process with out even being trimmed/weighed.
I have no doubt that your find is 1/2 reales and authentic. Congrats and welcome to the club of overweight 1/2 finders...
You may hear, "cant be", "Spanish were so precise", "It's a fake" and doubtful comments...but just re-read my previous sentence. Congrats.
Trez

And yes, it is actually (medio) "real" for spelling I believe anything over a 1/2 was "reales"...feel free to correct if that is in error.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBR,
It is INDEED a 1/2 reales. Yes, they are unusual. As I have said in previous posts, I have found as well as others 1/2's weighing almost 2.1-2.3grams.
It is not the norm, again NOT the norm
Some 1/2s can actually contain small amounts of GOLD, Platinum which can throw the weight off, even if the planchet was same size as the 99.9% of the others minted.
Some 1/2s were struck on 1 real dies, and and 1 reales struck on 2s, and so forth. Some were struck and slipped through the process with out even being trimmed/weighed.
I have no doubt that your find is 1/2 reales and authentic. Congrats and welcome to the club of overweight 1/2 finders...
You may hear, "cant be", "Spanish were so precise", "It's a fake" and doubtful comments...but just re-read my previous sentence. Congrats.
Trez

Agreed.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBR, It is INDEED a 1/2 reales. Yes, they are unusual. As I have said in previous posts, I have found as well as others 1/2's weighing almost 2.1-2.3grams. It is not the norm, again NOT the norm Some 1/2s can actually contain small amounts of GOLD, Platinum which can throw the weight off, even if the planchet was same size as the 99.9% of the others minted. Some 1/2s were struck on 1 real dies, and and 1 reales struck on 2s, and so forth. Some were struck and slipped through the process with out even being trimmed/weighed. I have no doubt that your find is 1/2 reales and authentic. Congrats and welcome to the club of overweight 1/2 finders... You may hear, "cant be", "Spanish were so precise", "It's a fake" and doubtful comments...but just re-read my previous sentence. Congrats. Trez
Thanks for taking the time to explain that Trez. I was initially excited thinking i had dug something besides a 1/2R, but finding one overweight is just as cool. It felt kind of heavy and is a little thicker than most of my other ones.
Thanks AARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread