Real Atocha coin?

krackenator

Oct 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone I'm new here and have recently been curious about a coin that I bought when I was 12 years old. It stood out to me and it seemed like a good deal but the problem Ive had is that the guy I bought it from said he had the COA but being a 12yo I never contacted him for it and for a while never even realize that it could quite be a valuable coin. So I'd just like to know if it is actually real and if it is then is it in pretty good shape for a shipwreck coin? Thanks! Sorry if the pictures are sideways
20161020_174829.jpg 20161020_174839.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a COA, its impossible to know if it's from the Atocha. What company slabbed it? I don't see it on the case and I thought they were normally printed on there. There have been a LOT of "Atocha" fakes made and sold over the years.

ETA - I now see that the slabber was ICG - "independent coin graders". You might able to contact them, they could have a copy of the supporting documentation

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Looks like it's in an ICG slab. You should be able to at least start by going to their website (start on google if it's not on the slab) and see. They should at least have cert verification to verify the number. Of course, the Chinese are getting crafty and matching cert numbers to coins in the slabs, so it's not fool proof unless there's an image. But it's a start.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the ICG site, they acknowledge the coin is in their data base
might be able to get a copy of the COA from the fisher group, every atocha coin was photographed and documented
The COA should have the coins photo on it.
I would think ICG would have needed to see the COA to say it was from the atocha
the packaging looks right
BRady

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys
I'm bent out of shape, irritated that I took the time to research this cob, yet no response
Why is that ?
Guess I should just get over it
Does anyone else feel this way when the take the time to research, have an answer yet receive no response?
Brady

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys
I'm bent out of shape, irritated that I took the time to research this cob, yet no response
Why is that ?
Guess I should just get over it
Does anyone else feel this way when the take the time to research, have an answer yet receive no response?
Brady

Just another typical drive-by poster. Hasn't even been back to TNET since posting his question. Don't let it bother you, it happens all the time.

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
What IS the hourly rate these days for going to the ICG homepage and typing in 10 digits?

Yes, you WOULD assume ICG would have required some sort of paperwork proof to note "Atocha" on the slab... but it frankly wouldn't be totally shocking for them to simply have worked off what was noted on the submission. ICG is simply not PCGS/NGC...

Either way, if ICG ever did see any paperwork, they wouldn't have kept any copy/record of it... and it's not with the coin anymore, obviously. So....... you're left with an Atocha coin with no papers... AND no TSI number.

What does this mean? Effectively, there's not going to be much of a price premium over a similar example with no pedigree/wreck attachment. It does look like it COULD be Atocha, based on surfaces, era of coin... but there's no way to ever prove it. Even if it just had a number with it, the Fisher people could probably work with that... alas not.

FWIW, it IS a solid, genuine assayer M 8R.

Last edited:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
some people come on here, for whatever reason, make a new account and post some crazy great thing, then split. sort of like trolls I guess, only they troll the entire site, not just an individual. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread