Found my first 1 real cob! Need some guidance from those in the know...

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I posted this find on the "Today's Finds" board but I thought it would be reasonable to post it here for an identification. I found my first 1 real cob on Saturday after finding a few cuartillos and 1/2 real cobs in the past at this Spanish colonial site. It weighs 3.5 grams. I hope the photos are clear enough. If not let me know and I'll take more.

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• 1 real .png
    1 real .png
    431.4 KB · Views: 383
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New cob photos

Thanks, KCM! Well, I think I've made some progress on the identification (at least the year of the cob). I believe from these new photos that the numbers "751" can be seen, which would mean it was hammered in 1751. I've outlined it in red. What do you think?

Attachments

• cob2 (2).JPG
    cob2 (2).JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 347
  • cob1.jpg
    cob1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 313
  • cob1red.jpg
    cob1red.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
*hehe* You don't wanna know what I think! I'm no good at making out things like that.

To me, it looks really cool and really old - but I'm definitely not the brightest light bulb in the box! :dontknow:

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perdidogringo,
Nice find...again!!! Looks more like 1757.
Trez

Last edited:
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure could be an old cut, Itsmine! Was very common to cut cobs back in the day. By the way, I used to live in New Lenox... Small world.

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry, doesn't look real

Always a doubter in the bunch, I've come to learn. :laughing7:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I believe you're wrong. You're making a guess from a couple of lousy Iphone photos. I've had many look at it in hand and it's real. I've also found about 20 more cobs of different denominations at this particular Spanish colonial site in Latin America over the years. It's not a particular rare kind of cob and not even very valuable (in a dollar sense if I sold it). But I like it, so that's all that counts. Thanks for your feedback anyway.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks authentic to me.
Only two New World mints produced 'pillars and waves' coins in 1751; Lima, Peru and Potosi (now) Bolivia. To disquish the two, the wave image on the Lima coins goes 'down' beneath the date; whereas the wave image on the Potosi coins goes 'up' beneath the date. Yours appears to go 'down', so I'd call it a Lima cob dated 1751.
Don...

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry if I insulted you
But I'm sticking to my guns
look close at your cob
Looks like its cast, not stamped
again this is my opinion and not trying to create an issue
I have experience with cobs
Brady

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perdidogringo,

No one can say for sure without actually holding it themselves...but it's a crude example but typical for this date (range) fat planchet, poor sloppy details, and I see nothing that would make me have any doubts about this cob being the real deal. It could be 1751 but the digit looks more like a 7 and that sure looks like a P left of the denomination...not seeing the L
Here is a website that might help in this ID.

FERNANDO VI 1 REAL DE LA CECA DE POTOSI

Don's right about the waves as an ID feature...but the wave looks like its pushing up on the 5 on 757...just like the one in the link I provided.
What did you end up with doing with this very nice Potosi 1757 1 Real example.
Have you hunted the site again? Please post more of your cob finds...PLEASE.
I believe you were the one who found a few 1/4 reales from a South America visit while back? I could be wrong, about the 1/4 reales.
Post 'em when you find 'em. I love those old pieces of silver.
Thanks again,
Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perdidogringo,

No one can say for sure without actually holding it themselves...but it's a crude example but typical for this date (range) fat planchet, poor sloppy details, and I see nothing that would make me have any doubts about this cob being the real deal. It could be 1751 but the digit looks more like a 7 and that sure looks like a P left of the denomination...not seeing the L
Here is a website that might help in this ID.

FERNANDO VI 1 REAL DE LA CECA DE POTOSI

Don's right about the waves as an ID feature...but the wave looks like its pushing up on the 5 on 757...just like the one in the link I provided.
What did you end up with doing with this very nice Potosi 1757 1 Real example.
Have you hunted the site again? Please post more of your cob finds...PLEASE.
I believe you were the one who found a few 1/4 reales from a South America visit while back? I could be wrong, about the 1/4 reales.
Post 'em when you find 'em. I love those old pieces of silver.
Thanks again,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes, this is an old thread from about a year ago that was resurrected recently. Soon after I created this thread, it was confirmed by a couple of experts in Spanish colonial cobs to be a Fernando VI, 1757, Potosi, Assayer- q (Luis de Quintanilla). I've mostly found cuartillos and 1/2 reals at the site so this was my first 1 real. I still have it, but it's a relatively common one, so not real valuable anyway.

Nov 24, 2017
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Auqanaut 10"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's valuable because you found it after how many swing and misses? It's awesome and something to keep in you're treasure box!

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely, Humble! I've found more than my share of good stuff lately after a few years of making every mistake you can.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice find! :occasion14:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are some nice finds go find some more i like looking at the pictures wish that was me finding those when you find them yourself thats as real as it gets good going

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread