Found Spanish Cob ? Is it real ? Date?

SlagMaster

Aug 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN3253.JPG DSCN3254.JPG Hello, i found this metal detecting. can anyone tell me from pictures if it is real. And or any other info Date Mint silver? etc. I weight it with most of the chain hanging off the scale so it weighs around 5.78 grams. It measures about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Any info would help thanks

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Those holes and that old chain sure do make it look authentic.

Did it ring up high, like silver should?

Tell us the back story, please.

OP
OP
S

SlagMaster

Aug 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it in a town in minnesota near the mississippi river. I just air tested it and it does not ring up high. It is more in the nickel/ gold range. A 51 on the Garrett AT Pro.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slagmaster... You're cob does have the appearances and proper markings of a real coin...

From the Lima Mint (Peru) and is dated 1708 - that's the "708" in between the pillars on the obverse (front side) of the coin...

The Jerusalem Cross design is on the reverse (backside) of the coin...

The style of chain does also look old but perhaps not as old as the coin... Hard to tell... Very nice find.

Last edited:

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, you can see the denomination "8" between the top of the pillars so it would have been an 8 Reales.

Additionally, (and mostly speculative on my part) from the appearance of the coin having been clipped, it has been used by the previous contemporary owner(s) to make change. Since it was clipped on both sides away from where the holes were, the owner apparently intended to continue to wear the coin for future transactions... There are three holes in the coin most likely because the first holes wore thin enough over time to justify making another hole...

If this coin is in fact real, take the current weight and subtract it from what the full weight is supposed to be for an 8 Reales and then divide that number by two since there are two possible clippings of the same approximate size (weight) done to the coin.... That will tell you what change was made by the clipping... From the looks of it, possibly two 1 or 2 Reales clips in change were made.

Last edited:

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the full weight of an 8 Reales cob of that period would be close to 27.1 grams... Not always spot on... There were Royal tolerances as to how far off the "full weight" a coin could be...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and by the way, when a Mint mark is not visible on a coin of this type and period, you can determine which mint this coin came from (either Lima or Potosi from the overall die style) by the fact that the low part of waves fall down just below the date thus indicating Lima minted coinage... If the crest (upside) of the waves were present below the date, then the coin would have been from the Potosi Mint... However, you do have a mint Mark present on your coin as well! It is an "L" just visible to the upper lefthand corner next to the left pillar.

Hope all this info was helpful to you...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread