At a loss

a_lot_to_learn

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Firstly, I've very much enjoyed reading these forums for the last 5-7 years. Many of you have provided valuable feedback on what to look for a find or making a purchase (Not just speaking to this particular forum).

Recently I've acquired some coins that are well outside my wheelhouse.

The attached is a group of ten what I believe to be half reale cobs. The cobs appear to have a patina but some have what appears to be electronic solder and/or be 'burned. I don't know how it could be since they were in salt water and supposedly uncovered from the 1715 wreck. Do coins/cobs of this type exhibit patina and/or what appears to be heat?

Anyway, your feedback/guidance regarding my question is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kurt IMG_4319.JPG

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kurt,
May I ask what you paid for them? Did the seller provide you a avenue for a refund?
Just asking...because you might not like what you hear. I see some "real" issues no pun intended.
Look at the die variety? they look all the same don't they? Number 1 rule, if you see 2 cobs with the same markings, most likely 1 if not both are not genuine.
Let the real guys with the eyes cast their thoughts on this post.
If you have watched these threads in years past, why just a newbie and finally post? Well anyways welcome to the harsh reality of cob coinage.
Trez

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blackened silver is normal for salt water exposure. My only found 1715 coin is a 1/2 reale Mexico mint and doesn't look like these. I've seen a lot of 1715 coins and these just don't seem to click, but for your sake I hope they are.

OP
OP
A

a_lot_to_learn

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down, thanks for your request and sorry the photos were poor. The photo was take with my son's iphone 7 in daylight against an index card. His phone might have had sone teenage filter enabled that I wasn't aware of. I'll take updated photos with my iPad when it's charged.

Thank you very much for at least taking a look.

Kurt

OP
OP
A

a_lot_to_learn

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Trez,

I didn't pay anything for them. My mom was going through boxes in my parents garage after my dad passed. She found a box that contained 23 1/2 reales/cobs/coins in small boxes, not to mention my Evil Knevel but no bike. Part of the lot is four mel fisher framed Atocha coins and there is one copper from 1838 or something. My dad was a bottle collector so this group threw me.

I have no idea about the die variety, that is wellllll beyond me. I collect US coins. My wife and I visit her parents FL and I metal detect and am intrigued by the FL history, Hence why my stalker behavior on this forum.

Don't think I'm a newbie but shipwreck stuff, absolutely. It's amazing, I have no idea how anyone can look through a loop and their head doesn't spin!

Biggest thing is my daughter graduated from High School. I want to upgrade my MD and will not pawn off a fake coin to a buyer.

As I mentioned, these things are beyond me. I'm not out anything and don't want to railroad anyone either.

Thanks, Kurt

OP
OP
A

a_lot_to_learn

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver, sorry since new to this forum I responded and my post is below.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Trez,

I didn't pay anything for them. My mom was going through boxes in my parents garage after my dad passed. She found a box that contained 23 1/2 reales/cobs/coins in small boxes, not to mention my Evil Knevel but no bike. Part of the lot is four mel fisher framed Atocha coins and there is one copper from 1838 or something. My dad was a bottle collector so this group threw me.

I have no idea about the die variety, that is wellllll beyond me. I collect US coins. My wife and I visit her parents FL and I metal detect and am intrigued by the FL history, Hence why my stalker behavior on this forum.

Don't think I'm a newbie but shipwreck stuff, absolutely. It's amazing, I have no idea how anyone can look through a loop and their head doesn't spin!

Biggest thing is my daughter graduated from High School. I want to upgrade my MD and will not pawn off a fake coin to a buyer.

As I mentioned, these things are beyond me. I'm not out anything and don't want to railroad anyone either.

Thanks, Kurt

Hi Kurt and now that you've officially joined T-Net Welcome! You also might want to post an introduction of yourself in the new members section as there are many other warm welcomes there too! It's always nice to have new members and especially honest and polite ones such as yourself. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
A

a_lot_to_learn

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got it and thank you! A quick debrief, absolutely enjoy what history has to teach us in books and what our forefathers carried in their pockets. Played college ball, blew out my hip and had a full hip replacement at 36, on April Fools day (Thanks to my better half of 21 years this July 13). Fantastic wife and two great kids now teenagers that I could NOT get interested in coin collecting or metal detecting but one hope remains, my wife.

Previous life I enjoyed gaming (Before kids) on Microsoft's WWII aerial platform and would've loved to take a spin in a P51, just once.

High five all.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kurt... my opinion... Trez is spot on...

The coin dies would be the same (if minted at the same mint during the same time period) however no two strikes would be exactly the same as these cob coins would each be individually struck by a hand... not only are the strikes pretty much the same but the actual shapes of the coins are really pretty much the same as well... cob coins are all unique shapes as they are hand clipped.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the wear, the edges look suspect.

Weigh of each one by number would help.

Would be nice to see pictures of the framed Atocha coins as well.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your mom Gave you these from your Dads stuff and he was a bottle collector, where did the 1715 shipwreck story come from? Just curious

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread