159.1 KB · Views: 224
  • DavesCoinReverseR2.jpg
    DavesCoinReverseR2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 190

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
What made you draw the conclusion that you did - nevermind the date you attributed as that is obviously a typo? I'll give you hint - it is a mystery that has a reality in fantasy.

OP
OP
J

JayeLK

Greenie
Feb 15, 2005
What made you draw the conclusion that you did - nevermind the date you attributed as that is obviously a typo? I'll give you hint - it is a mystery that has a reality in fantasy.

First time I've ever tried to classify one of these, so I took a dive into various websites and tried to interpret their info and what I was seeing on the coin.

I could be way off in almost everything. Heck, it might not even be a real coin.

As you pointed out, the date was a typo. 20th century is definitely out, if it is a real coin!

I thought 1572 style Reale from the configuration of the shield with the little center part in the middle of the quadrant.

Left of the shield looks like it could be oXM, which was explained as Mexico City mint. A little bit of elimination as the other mint possibilities for this style didn't seem to come close to matching what was there.

Right of the shield was explained as denomination and assayer. It was hard for me to figure the assayer, but considering the supposed date and style, "A" looked the most promising. I had to squint hard to make that look like an A, it really seems to be a YP to me, but that didn't make any sense according to the sites I was viewing.

The denomination was a wild guess, partially based on the size of about 0.75" across.

Anything you can do to educate me is appreciated.

I can't decipher your hint, but thanks anyway.

JayeLK

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I applaud your effort and interest to delve into what amounts to hieroglyphics when it comes to Spanish colonial cobs. After you get hooked and understand the "hieroglyphics", there will be some features that stand out like a sore thumb. As a collector/student of cobs, these features are akin to warning flags and allow us to steer clear of such pieces. To a novice, the features are enough to lend credibility and interest. Now, for the clue - a mystery that has a reality in fantasy. These mysterious features are a tell-tale sign that it is a legitimate fantasy piece.

First picture has the styling of an escudo. The second photo shows The House of Bourbon crest set in the Hapsburg Shield which would indicate King Phillip V. But now you have one side with features found on a gold piece married with features that are found on silver pieces. So after the obvious red flag, you can be assured that it is a fantasy piece. The other red flag is in your second photo starting at 12 o'clock and follow until 1 o'clock you will see a suspect sharp edge. These are usually tell-tale signs of casting seams.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure looks like it was cast to me look all around the edges looks cast , not hammered
no clipping
Have you had it tested?
size and weight?
Brady

OP
OP
J

JayeLK

Greenie
Feb 15, 2005
Well, thanks for all that. It belongs to a friend. I got to look at it and take the pictures, but he lives quite a distance from me. I just took a crack at identifying it. I thought about the weight in my research, but, without having the actual piece, I didn't get to measure that.

I didn't really consider that being a fantasy piece was what was making it hard to decipher the markings. I just thought I was too uneducated to understand what I was doing.

If he wants to put more time into it, he can.

Thanks again.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, thanks for all that. It belongs to a friend. I got to look at it and take the pictures, but he lives quite a distance from me. I just took a crack at identifying it. I thought about the weight in my research, but, without having the actual piece, I didn't get to measure that.

I didn't really consider that being a fantasy piece was what was making it hard to decipher the markings. I just thought I was too uneducated to understand what I was doing.

If he wants to put more time into it, he can.

Thanks again.

Don't put yourself down. You took a darn good shot at attempting to decipher the devices. Most don't even put in that effort and just ask for others to fill in the blanks.

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
Cast repro of a 1713-ish Mexico 2 Escudos. No doubt inspired by a 1715 Fleet find.

Hint for everyone reading - gold doesn't turn into that! There's a reason it has chased from ancient times up through modernity...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jaye,
As 'Diver Down' wrote, "Don't put yourself down". It does take courage to offer an attrition to a cob when you have little knowledge on the subject. Perhaps a more accurate way (than diameter) to determine the denomination of a cob is by its weight--since the coin can be struck or formed ('clipped') into various configuations at the mint to get it down to the proper weight. Use 27 grams as an approximate weight for an 8 reales coins; and proportionally less for lower denominations.(more exactly, 27.47 before 1729 and 27.1 after that date.)
Thanks for posting the 'cob'.
Don......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread