Cob from Indonesia?

JBIndo

Dec 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am hoping someone can assist with a coin I was shown in a remote region of Indonesia. From my limited understanding it appears to be a Spanish cob that has experienced significant abrasion and I am trying to find the vintage and origin of the coin in an attempt to narrow down possible missing vessels this coin may have been on. The area in which the coin was found doesn't appear to be on any trade routes and there are rumours of old wrecks in the general area.

The coin is approximately 30mm diameter and heavy, I assume silver. Cross side.png Other Side.png

Thank you

JB

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
The coin was minted in Mexico.
It's denomination can be determined by its weight: Use 27 grams as a guide for an 8 reales coin, with proportionate divisions for a 4,2 or 1 real.
Don....

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
This planchet follows the milling process most commonly seen on Mexican gold cobs of the 1690-1715 period. It has the crest of Bourbon, so it is from the post 1700 period. It was placed down on its flattest side and repeatedly struck as it was moved around in a circle, to flatten the other side. This was done while keeping it steady against a 90 degree angle on one side of the anvil, creating the raised bumps where the sharp edges of the flan were struck against it.

They called these stone money, and in Indonesia, they were usually countermarked with a mark called a surnep, or a denomination mark fixing their value at one real batu, or 1/2 real batu. Because it has no counter-mark it might have been removed where there is a gouge, or that is an assay. It could have just passed off a junk, and not moved through a royal center or market where it was countermarked, but the gouge is a little unusual.

You need to go by the weight and see if a magnet sticks to it. It looks like a land find.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
note the Dutch commonly raided Spanish treasure fleets and stole their silver from them in the old days -- the Dutch also traded for "spices" in the spice islands today known as Indonesia ...the dutch used the stolen Spanish silver to pay for things in Asia in general as the Asians wanted silver and gold .. parts of todays Indonesia at one time pre WW2 were known as the dutch east indies

Spain for many years also controlled the Phillipines another possible source for it to come from in trade ..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread