Hi guys, new here. Any help with this Cob please

alexmun

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this real. I only see an S, but on the top of the coin, where the coat of arms is, there is an AC clearly visible... That's what worries me... s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Thanks a lot...

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks like a South American early to mid 1600s 8 reale cob. I do not see the AC you are talking about on the shield side.
That is called the Hapsburg shield. Prior would be the script of Charles and Joanna, and after the Shield cob would be the Pillars and waves instead of the shield. I am no expert, hard to say from a small picture. Looks to be corroded or maybe positive relief where it should not have positive relief. Bumps where it should be smooth. Which could be from molding off a coin and casting a fake one. Bubbles in the plaster of the moldMaybe take some side pictures, of the edge, and maybe close ups of the cross side and the shield side.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Also if you have any COA. Certificate of authenticity. Where it came from and any provenance, etc. any history you were told.

Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And welcome! Hopefully someone can evaluate it for you.

OP
OP
A

alexmun

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve thanks

And welcome! Hopefully someone can evaluate it for you.

Steve:

Hi from Barranquilla, Colombia.

I was wary about this cob. These coins are not really my thing (I'm more into judean, greek, roman and crusader coins) and I found what I thought a "too good to be true" deal on this one. I believe it really was a "too good to be true deal". I went with my gut feeling and even though it was on the very low cost side, I decided to skip on this one.

I am building a small collection for my kids and thought that a cob, preferably one from the New World or better even, from Colombia, could be an interesting addition, providing it had a killer price (our exchange rate DOES NOT help a little). I haven't been able to find something of the kind, so I looked at this one. Coins and bills have proven to be a great way of teaching history for my 3 and 6 year old boys.

BTW. Here's the rare mark I think I saw on the coin... Maybe I'm just imagining it.

ac.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread