652.9 KB · Views: 152
OP
OP
M

Mecha1166

Apr 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's possible, but I think Ferdinand V was 1400s to early 1500s, and Ferdinand VI was mid 1700s. This coin looks like 1600s era I think, but I really don't know.
Thanks for helping,
jim

OP
OP
M

Mecha1166

Apr 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have this 2 reale piece, I cannot read anything on it. IMG_2763.JPG IMG_2764.JPG

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Let's deal with the first cob. The second piece while hammered doesn't appear to be Spanish. My guess is that it is British. But back to your first piece in question.

It is an early Potosi piece (1617-1640). The use of roman numerals instead of arabic to denote the denomination and there is a faint trace of a date at 10 o'clock on the shield side. I can make out the x6xx. Dates didn't appear on Potosi cobs until 1617. So you have a 23 year window when your piece was minted. Most likely it was produced during the reign of King Philip IV. King Philip III reign came to end in the early years of the stated date range. Now, the assayer is in question. From my deciphering, there appears to be a faint vestige of the upper right bar of a "T". If that is accurate, then it would be Juan Ximenez de Tapia. The problem in nailing down a closer date range is that Juan served multiple terms.

With regards to the legend, it would "normally" read [Name of the King], BY THE GRACE OF GOD, KING OF SPAIN AND OF THE INDIES. It would start at 12 o'clock and proceed clockwise around the outer edge ending at 12 o'clock. So in your specific piece, it would read REX PHILIPVS IV, DEI GRATIA, REX HISPANIARVM ET INDIARVM. That would be the ideal phrasing, but nothing is ideal in these early pieces. There can be much variation. PHILIPVS IV or PHILIPVS IIII is possible. DEI GRATIA can be DEI G., DEI GRAT., or D.G. or just D. INDIARVM can be INDIAR., or IND., or even IN. Confused? Well sometimes the the first "I" in INDIARVM is rendered with a "Y". HISPANIARVM is often abbreviated as HISP. or HISPA. or HISPANI. and in some cases the letter "H" is omitted. During later periods there can be more identifiers in the legend, but that doesn't pertain to your piece.

What you see as "DV" is likely "PV" in philiPVs (I wrote in lowercase to emphasize the visible part that is in question). While it looks evident that it is a DV and not a PV, keep in mind that the "tail" of the "P" could be obscured with the comma-dot delimiter border.

Anyways, that is my WAG.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a different take... I see the first as a Ferdinand....

And the second as... a hhhh letme look

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second... look like a Felipe IV.

OP
OP
M

Mecha1166

Apr 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the huge amount of information on these, Diver Down and AARC. You seem very knowledgable on these coins - I appreciate the kind help. You have been very nice to this newbie. :)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I just drew on your original picture some of the elements that I mentioned. Bear with me as it was the first time I ever used that feature. Old, shaky hands don't make the best art.
Cob_LI (2).jpg

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mecha1166,
This is a tough one, but its not Ferdinand VI for sure...the obverse is the Hapsburg Shield so its before 1700. On the reverse the Lion (Leon) looks like he's on 1 leg-front 2 paws up and 1 bottom paw off ground, do you see? Those are one of the clues that can help you decipher and help narrow down your example.
Good luck, nice tester its a tough one. I like Diver's thinking of Tapia.
Trez

Last edited:

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Potosi 1618 probably off the Atocha ? The lion in the SW corner of the cross has his head on the cross bar of the cross.

There is a better example in the Sedwick auction catalog of Nov 2-3, 2017, item number 240.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread