Jul 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I know you all get sick and tired of these questions, but I also know you are the experts. This coin belonged to one of my associates. She passed away and many documents were lost. I have reached out to a couple of "experts" who believe this to be a genuine coin. You know what the problem is. Without paperwork, the coin is virtually worthless. Is there anything that can be done to authenticate this piece. I am thankful to be a part of the forum, and I would greatly appreciate any assistance. I am attaching a couple of pictures. The weight and measurements are consistent with those of an 8 Reale.

Attachments

• s-l400-9.jpg
    s-l400-9.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 139
  • s-l400-10.jpg
    s-l400-10.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 129

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
write the Atocha museum and ask if its something they might have sold

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is a legitimate 8R. You likely won't ever be able to prove the provenance as without the original cert. and coin flip, the Fisher's won't be able to distinguish it from the thousand other coins. It was likely sold wholesale to other dealers in bulk. Your piece would likely fall into the Grade 4. If you want to attempt to get it re-certified, then contact https://www.melfisher.com/library/coa_appraisal.asp

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
001.JPG
I would think, if you have the name of the person who bought it.It could be traced via serial number (assigned to that piece) like this.
The seller would have a record of it.... ebay,maybe not.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
View attachment 1611760
I would think, if you have the name of the person who bought it.It could be traced via serial number (assigned to that piece) like this.
The seller would have a record of it.... ebay,maybe not.

Careful. That isn't a Mel Fisher Cert. It is a 1622 Atocha Coin cert. They buy Atocha Silver bars and craft replica coins out of the silver. When reading the cert, it alludes to genuine sunken treasure but the the treasure is the source of the silver in the silver bar. The coin itself is not genuine. https://atocha1622.com/

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful. That isn't a Mel Fisher Cert. It is a 1622 Atocha Coin cert. They buy Atocha Silver bars and craft replica coins out of the silver. When reading the cert, it alludes to genuine sunken treasure but the the treasure is the source of the silver in the silver bar. The coin itself is not genuine. https://atocha1622.com/

I know its not a "original". IT is a reproduction,bought 'Directly' from the Mel Fisher collection .Bought this fathers day as a gift for me. BUT, the serial # (assigned to the piece) be it a "real" coin or "reproduction" still remains traceable. As the seller & buyer has the record.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
004.JPG
At under a hundred dollars its obvious its not "real" .And as They clearly state "made from silver recovered from the Atocha"

OP
OP
T
Jul 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone who has chimed in. I contacted Mel Fisher's a few days ago and haven't heard back yet. I heard from a seemingly good source that without the coin number there is no way to have it authenticated. I am disheartened but it makes sense since so many coins were made. The same gentleman that told me my effort was futile said that he thought it was Potosi coin. I am eager to see what Mel Fisher's says, but it looks like I am out of luck. I know that the previous owner lived on Sanibel Island so maybe I'll get lucky and find the shop that sold it to her. I would appreciate any other advice, but I understand that this is likely all that can be done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread