Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Old broken thing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cob 8 as a pendant?

I got this drilled cob with a collection of high end asian antiques. This was the only coin. And interesting enough there is a whole section of TN dedicated to the thing. Any way is there a chance it is a real cob. Weighs about 21 grams. I dont know much about coins so this is out of my usual area.
20181028_224535.jpg

20181028_224510.jpg

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Yes, it is a 1714 8 Reale cob minted in Mexico City. The discrepancy in weight is easily explained with the corrosive metal loss of a sea-salvaged piece.

OP
OP
J

Justlookdown

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Old broken thing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Diver_down. Appriciate the quick response! Do you know if holes were common in its day as for roman coins? The hole looks as old as the coin. Just curious as to the story of the piece.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thank you Diver_down. Appriciate the quick response! Do you know if holes were common in its day as for roman coins? The hole looks as old as the coin. Just curious as to the story of the piece.

Well, it depends on what you mean "in it's day". At the time of minting, it would not have been holed. Who knows when it was salvaged... The Spanish and numerous others until today have salvaged the 1715 Fleet. Modern treasure jewelry trends mount the treasure in a bezel, but an early effort might have just holed it to serve the same purpose. Of course, in colonial America where Spanish reales circulated, many would hole their coins and string them together for safe keeping - some even sewing coins into their clothing.

a2jones

Feb 28, 2018
Naples,Florida,Washington state,Arizona,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites gold master 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fl. indians some time salvaged wrecks. a lot of theas found in indian mounds had holes in them.I have been told they wore them as necklesses. I have several i found on beach but no holes. Have seen many with holes.

a lot of theas found in indian mounds had holes in them.I have been told they wore them as necklesses. I have several i found on beach but no holes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks real for sure, and they were holed way back when and also more recently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread