Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Justlookdown
  • 2 Post By Diver_Down
  • 1 Post By Diver_Down

Thread: Cob as apendant?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2018
    Oregon
    Old broken thing
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Cob 8 as a pendant?

I got this drilled cob with a collection of high end asian antiques. This was the only coin. And interesting enough there is a whole section of TN dedicated to the thing. Any way is there a chance it is a real cob. Weighs about 21 grams. I dont know much about coins so this is out of my usual area.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181028_224535.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	1647098

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181028_224510.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	1647097
    Last edited by Justlookdown; Oct 29, 2018 at 02:03 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1318 times
    Yes, it is a 1714 8 Reale cob minted in Mexico City. The discrepancy in weight is easily explained with the corrosive metal loss of a sea-salvaged piece.
    Mackaydon and TomW244 like this.

Oct 2018
    Oregon
    Old broken thing
    18 times
    Thank you Diver_down. Appriciate the quick response! Do you know if holes were common in its day as for roman coins? The hole looks as old as the coin. Just curious as to the story of the piece.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Justlookdown View Post
    Thank you Diver_down. Appriciate the quick response! Do you know if holes were common in its day as for roman coins? The hole looks as old as the coin. Just curious as to the story of the piece.
    Well, it depends on what you mean "in it's day". At the time of minting, it would not have been holed. Who knows when it was salvaged... The Spanish and numerous others until today have salvaged the 1715 Fleet. Modern treasure jewelry trends mount the treasure in a bezel, but an early effort might have just holed it to serve the same purpose. Of course, in colonial America where Spanish reales circulated, many would hole their coins and string them together for safe keeping - some even sewing coins into their clothing.
    catherine1 likes this.

us
    Feb 2018
    Naples,Florida,Washington state,Arizona,Oregon
    Whites gold master 2
    19 times
    The Fl. indians some time salvaged wrecks. a lot of theas found in indian mounds had holes in them.I have been told they wore them as necklesses. I have several i found on beach but no holes. Have seen many with holes.

a lot of theas found in indian mounds had holes in them.I have been told they wore them as necklesses. I have several i found on beach but no holes.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13905 times
    Banner Finds (6)
    Looks real for sure, and they were holed way back when and also more recently.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links