COBBS AGAIN!

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got back out today after very wet couple of weeks. Need help again please! Approximately 2000 yrds. from spot where my last Cobb came from. Same black glass and Tombac buttons. Did not find the spot until late in hunt and only was able to detect area for about 1 hour before I had to leave. Can not wait to get back. Feb. find 11 - 1 (52).jpg 11 - 1 (53).jpg

Todays find 11 - 1 (74).jpg 11 - 1 (75).jpg

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schuder3, well you know the one is --88 year.... some cobbs had the full date once and the last 2 digits, in 2 other spots... basssmann

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Across the middle of the top coin are the letters PLV SVL TRA; the words Plus Ultra spelled out but divided into three groups. V is used in place of U; a usual practice. The significance of the words is to tell the world that Spain owns the lands beyond its borders (more beyond) i.e. the New World.
Don....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The PV coin resembles one from Felipe V who reigned between 1700 to 1724 then again between later in 1724 to 1746. Weight will give you an idea of the denomination of these coins; using the guideline of 27 grams for a coin valued at 8 reales.

On the coin to the right, you can read the letters IARV; part of a legend that would read: HISP ET INDIARVM REX; meaning King of Spain and the Indies.
Don......

OP
OP
S

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. Any thoughts on the other two? I did order the Practical Book of Cobs today in hopes of learning the identifications for myself. I do appreciate all of the help from this forum! If it helps the weights are as fallows from top to bottom 2.54 grams, 1.87 grams and 2.26 grams. Kind of stumbled across these looking for old military buttons. We always want what we don't have! Thanks again.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for the info guys. Any thoughts on the other two? I did order the Practical Book of Cobs today in hopes of learning the identifications for myself. I do appreciate all of the help from this forum! If it helps the weights are as fallows from top to bottom 2.54 grams, 1.87 grams and 2.26 grams. Kind of stumbled across these looking for old military buttons. We always want what we don't have! Thanks again.

First looks like a 1720's 1/2 real, Lima mint. Second looks like a 1640's one real, Potosi mint probably assayer TR.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeeeeeze that is an amazing find well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread