ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's tending to line up with assayer Q. Its hard to see some of the parts. There would not be a V next to the P from RVM if it was a T coin. The low I from india on the reverse lines up almost perfectly with a dated T coin I looked at from 1619. It's close to the M in the crown variety, of which some were found on the Atocha (S-P17; KM-10; CT-124) but there are a number of differences, as in the cross is bent the other way and the bottom of the castle is not covered up. Tails on the lions look correct, but the elements point it as being from a different set of dies, using some of the same punches Q used.

1616-1617 It lines up with assayer Q. Kind of a rare coin.

Look at some old Sedwick catalogs and you will find a variety of them, including one that is pretty close to this.

"The low I from india on the reverse " - ? ? ?

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
"The low I from india on the reverse " - ? ? ?

The I from India is very low on both Q and T's coins in about the 4 o'clock position on the reverse, so it almost hits the ticking. The wide flaring of the ticking outline around the center cross and bendets on the reverse is also close to one of his die patterns. These tick marks on some coin dies were stamped in rather quickly and crudely with a curved tool that had about 20 marks on its curved surface. It you went off with one side of the punch, they wouldn't line up with the other side, and it would flare out at the end, to leave a noticeable gap. Two of the things Q did a lot also is to cover up part of the lower right castle on the reverse, cutting the bendet across the bottom of it, or stamping it over the bendet, losing the bottom. He also used the ticking tool really close to the edges of the bendets, to get a decent circle that lined up with either side of the end of the punching tool.​

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

djbr54

Greenie
Sep 24, 2013
Mt Plymouth, Fl
Detector(s) used
Cz20/21 cz21 Whites pi pro Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
@djbr54 great find! If you don’t mind how deep was this? Thanks

It was around 6” deep and registered a 14 on the equinox. Must be because of the gold around the coin.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 reale mounted

Here is a MF 2 reale
grade 1 with 14 of chain. Coin itself is 5.9 gm. Price then was $2250. Yours does not look like MF quality but send them the pics. Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 109

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread