408A24E2-A774-452A-8C37-A97B22C07574.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 174

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a hammered coin put into a Keeper Some one should be able to identify it for you soon hh Chug

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones that are found set with a gold bezel are almost always fakes. This one with the crack looks familiar. Someone will post the site you buy these from I don't remember it.

Cheers and welcome!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls. Nice find. Congrats

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones that are found set with a gold bezel are almost always fakes. This one with the crack looks familiar. Someone will post the site you buy these from I don't remember it.

Cheers and welcome!
Maybe out in Cali - most of the ones in Fla. that are set in real gold - are actually off Fla. wrecks - they sell them at Mel Fisher museums and usually with a certificate - almost every quality jewelry shop in the Keys carry a bunch of real ones also set in gold
they do make some copies - but those are usually made from silver ingots found from those wrecks around Fla.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... and usually have to have the word copy on them if they are

OP
OP
D

djbr54

Greenie
Sep 24, 2013
Mt Plymouth, Fl
Detector(s) used
Cz20/21 cz21 Whites pi pro Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why do you say Cali? Does it not look like a Florida wreck cob? Do you think it’s a 4 reale? Thanks

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is real and if my interpretation of the assayer is correct, then it is quite rare. It is an 8R. With the heavy loss from corrosion, the weight combined with the mount isn't a concern. What you have is a very early Potosi piece minted during the reign of King Phillip III. The assayer - I'm seeing the top of the assayer mark clearly round, but the lower corner at 5 o'clock on the assayer mark looks like the remnant of a tail on a Q. If so, then the assayer was Agustin de la Quadra who used the mark from 1613-1616. There is no date on the early Potosi pieces as they were created without one. They only began to use a date in 1617.

No provable provenance, but it likely from the Atocha.

OP
OP
D

djbr54

Greenie
Sep 24, 2013
Mt Plymouth, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the information.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See I told you they would chime in :) I actually know nothing about these, being from California, we seldom see them. This statement is now fairly obvious :)

OP
OP
D

djbr54

Greenie
Sep 24, 2013
Mt Plymouth, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
And I almost pulled it out and threw it in my scrap silver pile and scrapped the gold bezel

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is real and if my interpretation of the assayer is correct, then it is quite rare. It is an 8R. With the heavy loss from corrosion, the weight combined with the mount isn't a concern. What you have is a very early Potosi piece minted during the reign of King Phillip III. The assayer - I'm seeing the top of the assayer mark clearly round, but the lower corner at 5 o'clock on the assayer mark looks like the remnant of a tail on a Q. If so, then the assayer was Agustin de la Quadra who used the mark from 1613-1616. There is no date on the early Potosi pieces as they were created without one. They only began to use a date in 1617.

No provable provenance, but it likely from the Atocha.

I thought the same... BUT... I think PRE Atocha.. perhaps Margarita.

The reason I say this is the bezel and lack of "TSI" mark.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I thought the same... BUT... I think PRE Atocha.. perhaps Margarita.

The reason I say this is the bezel and lack of "TSI" mark.

Margarita and Atocha sank in the same year - 1622. There really is no way to prove any provenance. My guess of Atocha is just based on the time period the piece was minted and the prevalence of the market saturation with Atocha pieces. Regardless of the origin of the wreck it was salvaged from, it is a legit piece of 8. And if my interpretation of the assayer mark is correct, then it is a rare piece.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Margarita and Atocha sank in the same year - 1622. There really is no way to prove any provenance. My guess of Atocha is just based on the time period the piece was minted and the prevalence of the market saturation with Atocha pieces. Regardless of the origin of the wreck it was salvaged from, it is a legit piece of 8. And if my interpretation of the assayer mark is correct, then it is a rare piece.

I know when they went down. lol ... heh

That is not what I was saying... ITS NOT an Atocha piece... Unless its a copy made from the bars... otherwise it would definitely be marked.

Margartita was found a whole 5 years before Atocha... the bezels were one offed in those days by only a few local guys.

I do know a little about Mel's stuff... been a fan since I was a kid. :)

notice my avatar.

<----------

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It's supposed to be a 1622 wreck coin, from what I can see, like a grade 2 coin. It's hard to interpret what is going on with the bezel and the coin. I think he is saying that the bezel setting does not match the ones put on Fisher recovery coins. It's going to be hard to get down to the details based on the picture, and finding it on the beach. Having the gold purity mark struck on the flat metal makes it look like a really quick job someone did. I would think if it was one of the generic fakes, it would have more detail in the face. It has an odd ticking outline to the reverse design, and these outlines tend to date the coins. I'll go look it up.

OP
OP
D

djbr54

Greenie
Sep 24, 2013
Mt Plymouth, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have a couple questions if you don’t mind. What is the best grade? Would it be 1. And on the assayed, If it’s not a Q then it would be an O, is there an assayed with an O? I thank you and everyone for there help. Although I have a cob set in gold from an Atocha silver bar, I never found one, let alone in a gold bezel. Thanks again Dennis

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It's tending to line up with assayer Q. Its hard to see some of the parts. There would not be a V next to the P from RVM if it was a T coin. The low I from india on the reverse lines up almost perfectly with a dated T coin I looked at from 1619. It's close to the M in the crown variety, of which some were found on the Atocha (S-P17; KM-10; CT-124) but there are a number of differences, as in the cross is bent the other way and the bottom of the castle is not covered up. Tails on the lions look correct, but the elements point it as being from a different set of dies, using some of the same punches Q used.

1616-1617 It lines up with assayer Q. Kind of a rare coin.

Look at some old Sedwick catalogs and you will find a variety of them, including one that is pretty close to this.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread