Help Identifying

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it today near the beach! Got me really exited! [/ATTACH] ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564106383.079124.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564106454.085251.jpg

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Spanish reale cob. I THINK I see "74" which would be 1674. It's hard to read. Someone who knows more will chime in soon. That's a NICE find!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Spanish reale cob. I THINK I see "74" which would be 1674. It's hard to read. Someone who knows more will chime in soon. That's a NICE find!

Thanks! Looks like I’m in a hot spot!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Descent guess, but you are off by a hundred years. It is a Potosi 1 Reale minted in 1764. They were the last colonial mint still producing Pillars/Waves cob coinage where the others had switched to milled coinage and Pillar dollars. Consequently, the quality they produced was absolute crap. I don't think they cared at the time figuring there was no oversight. For collectors, it makes finding a descent specimen difficult for the late Potosi period. The assayers (yes, plural) was Jose de Vargas y Flor and Raimundo de Yturriaga.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Descent guess, but you are off by a hundred years. It is a Potosi 1 Reale minted in 1764. They were the last colonial mint still producing Pillars/Waves cob coinage where the others had switched to milled coinage and Pillar dollars. Consequently, the quality they produced was absolute crap. I don't think they cared at the time figuring there was no oversight. For collectors, it makes finding a descent specimen difficult for the late Potosi period. The assayers (yes, plural) was Jose de Vargas y Flor and Raimundo de Yturriaga.

Woa, so rare right?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Woa, so rare right?

Not really. It is rare to find a specimen of suitable quality for one's collection. The reason I know of the specifics on your piece is that I viewed the Lions and Castles and thought of what a sloppy mess. Then I remembered that I have an 8R made in the same year/same mint/same assayers. My piece and why I like it is the date is doubled 7-6-6-4. The first strike has the date 7-6-4, then the die moved to the left on the second strike.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks diver down. I can’t see a lot of posted pics here to see precisely.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find good job I'm glad no one said it was fake I see that a lot that would be crappy. That's an amazing find rip that place apart like a northern pike in a bucket of cold water

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread