***i need help identifying a silver spanish coin***

chris barker

Apr 6, 2020
omaha,ne
Primary Interest:
Other
i currently have a spanish filippo IV silver 8 reales, the coin is pretty old and a lot of it is not visible to the naked eye. so now I find myself here asking for help with determining when and where exactly the coin was minted and its current value... 20200406_115318.jpg 20200406_114042.jpg 20200406_115318.jpg 20200406_114042.jpg

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome Chris from Texas :wave:

Show a reverse picture.:camera:

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know much about cobs, but I do know they were made from the 1500's-early 1700's. If I had to guess, I would say it was made in the 1600's. As for where it was minted, I know a majority of the later milled varieties such as Pillars and Globe & bust were minted in Mexico City, also a good many were minted in Lima, Peru, However there were many other mint locations throughout South America.

Here is a helpful section from Bill Dancy's Discovering Virginia's Colonial Artifacts about Spanish mints:

Spanish Silver Mints.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chris barker

Apr 6, 2020
omaha,ne
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know much about cobs, but I do know they were made from the 1500's-early 1700's. If I had to guess, I would say it was made in the 1600's. As for where it was minted, I know a majority of the later milled varieties such as Pillars and Globe & bust were minted in Mexico City, also a good many were minted in Lima, Peru, However there were many other mint locations throughout South America.

Here is a helpful section from Bill Dancy's Discovering Virginia's Colonial Artifacts about Spanish mints:

View attachment 1819508

thanks for the info

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard chris barker! Take a look at Forum: Nebraska for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from HELP! over to SPANISH COBS for more exposure.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMF mint mark = mexico.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
First, welcome to TNet. As with all first, this might be the first time that I saw glamour shots of a cob. What's with the vertical blind shadows? :laughing7:

Anyway, it is Mexico City mint. I would like to see photos without the glamour shots both front and back. There should be enough detail to give you a date range, but there is also something funky on the Hapsburg shield.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
First, welcome to TNet. As with all first, this might be the first time that I saw glamour shots of a cob. What's with the vertical blind shadows? :laughing7:

Anyway, it is Mexico City mint. I would like to see photos without the glamour shots both front and back. There should be enough detail to give you a date range, but there is also something funky on the Hapsburg shield.

Absent of clearer pictures, I'll convey the information that the OP asked. During his reign, King Philip IV had 3 assayers at the Mexico City mint. It is plainly evident that the assayer mark is "P". Unfortunately, his name has been lost to the ages but he held the title 1634-1666.

Now, with regards to the funky Hapsburg shield, the Austrian element (adjacent to the assayer) should be a single solid horizontal line. I checked through other examples of that era and the double line is seen on other pieces. Cuzco, Trez - what are your thoughts?

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice treasure there! You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread