Stumped and could use some help

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dear Moderators: If you consider this a duplicate post please just delete the one in the "What's it?" folder as this is probably a better place for it. Thanks

I found this on the beach where I'm finding bronze ship spikes. The problem is it's also a tourist town and they sell some fake Spanish coins here (though to my knowledge they don't sell actual silver ones).

It's 1.23 grams.

It's definitely silver, not plated.

It's slightly bigger than a dime. (It's about 18mm wide)

It's stamped BAHAMAS on the edge. Possibly a counter stamp?

Any help with what type of coin (If it's a coin) that this is would be appreciated.

May 1 20 Spanish Coin.jpg

IMG_6442.JPG

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whats the weight?
There's loads of Spanish silver folks
out there in TNet-Land, that they should help you...!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
At least you won't be disappointed as you have already suspected that it was a fake. It is. Besides the obvious crude craftmanship, they used a design that was reserved for escudos (gold cobs). If your piece is silver that you claim, at least you have 1.23 grams of silver or about 60 cents worth.

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At least you won't be disappointed as you have already suspected that it was a fake. It is. Besides the obvious crude craftmanship, they used a design that was reserved for escudos (gold cobs). If your piece is silver that you claim, at least you have 1.23 grams of silver or about 60 cents worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread