ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as testing goes... you can take the XRF advice.

Simple test you can do at home just to see if it passes the initial metals test is to get your strongest magnet and lay coin on smooth surface and pass magnet over it ver slowly and watch for any reaction if any.

Not much of a test other than if it attracts... even in the slightest... that would fail it for real for sure.

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am leaning up now btw... at least temporally anyway... so if your gonna post more. :P

Um I have to ask...

How much did you pay ? ??

I paid 30 dollars.

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am leaning up now btw... at least temporally anyway... so if your gonna post more. :P

Um I have to ask...

How much did you pay ? ??

If it's a high quality contemporary counterfeit, for 30 bucks, I'm happy to have it. What about the 1672 I posted pictures of? Also overweight. How does it look to you?

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Simple test you can do at home just to see if it passes the initial metals test is to get your strongest magnet and lay coin on smooth surface and pass magnet over it ver slowly and watch for any reaction if any.

Not much of a test other than if it attracts... even in the slightest... that would fail it for real for sure.

Magnet test. I like it! I'll let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tested it with a strong magnet. A mechanic's tray that you'd use to drop nuts and bolts into. Pretty strong magnets. I could not detect any magnetic attraction.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A contemporary counterfeit would be awesome too!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a high quality contemporary counterfeit, for 30 bucks, I'm happy to have it. What about the 1672 I posted pictures of? Also overweight. How does it look to you?

They look like they were put in a fire or torched with propane torch or some other fire to get that effect... WHICH made them look good on first glance... faked corrosion pits etc,

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hanging in a bezel on a chain on your neck... they would pass.

Only close inspection reveals the "flaws".

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like they were put in a fire or torched with propane torch or some other fire to get that effect... WHICH made them look good on first glance... faked corrosion pits etc,

I will get back to that town when we can travel and ask the guy where he got them. I am curious. Like I mentioned, I think it is doubtful that they are modern fakes that were tarnished in the hopes that a gringo would wander into town. It was very rural Nicaragua. I'm guessing the seller genuinely believed he had real coins. They find them all over down their in their gardens. Many households have a few stashed away. I'm going with Contemporary Counterfeit. �� And the original photo of the pillars side before I cleaned it... that is seriously old crud. IMO

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the spanish had the ability to accurately create coins to an exact weight? Also are these coins clean enough that the weight would be correct?

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is so overweight, it cant be from the crud.

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

These coins came from a town that was burned to the ground a few times by pirates. Maybe that's where the char is from.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just had to pop in and look at the Cob thread and glanced at this post.
Great info and feedback and knowledge provided...
AARC - great info you provide honestly you do with tons of posts.
But the part where you say "even the slightest" would fail it real for sure. (False)
They are...and more than you may think. Yes, If the damn cob sticks to the magnet I agree it's not authentic...but trust me, there are cobs and quite a few that do have magnetic properties, it's very slight but its there (Guaranteed and REAL).
Pile up a bunch a 1/2s and try it yourself...there's a real good chance you will see some movement if you have a good magnet, you can even feel an attraction if you balance a cob on the very tip of you finger and pass magnet quickly over it...try it and let me know.
Cheers !!!
My thoughts on 1663...I have some. The strong E on the piece is quite NORMAL for the date.
I will leave it at that...gonna glance at a few more postings, been a long time since I stopped in
Trez

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread