1663 1 Reale - Real or Fake... Overweight

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. So I got this 1 reale in Nicaragua. 1663. Potosi. The problem is it is 4.4 grams. I weighed it on 2 different scales and they agree on 4.4 grams. I acquired it from a local in a very rural town, way off the tourist path. There would be zero market for flogging fakes to gringos where I was. But it is far overweight. Is it a fake? Is it a contemporary fake from the proper time period? I have 4 photos. 2 are before I cleaned it up a bit with electrolysis. And 2 are after I cleaned it up. I got it with 2 other Potosi 1 reale coins. A 1654 (proper weight) and an overweight 1672 (3.8 grams). What do you think? Screenshot_20200622-101557_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200622-101613_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200622-101642_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200622-101629_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks real but the weight is a red flag.
Don.....

I have to agree.

There is also another red flag after closer inspections.

Your post was a little confusing at first.

IF there are fakes... they are not known fakes... err at least they are not listed in in the database I just ran it in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the weight is a big flag. What was the other thing you noticed? Thank you for your insight.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
IMO, it is a contemporary counterfeit. Neat piece. Besides the overweight, there are 2 red flags. First, Erguetta's assayer mark isn't the typical strong bold capital E. The lower bar of the E in both is off. Also, the 3 on the pilllars side looks off to me. Might just be a style variation, but Erguetta is known for his strong designs. Keep in mind, it was under his guidance that the Potosi mint transitioned from the shield to the pillars/waves design due to the mint scandal. Knowing of the consequences of producing improper weighted pieces and the subsequent death sentence, I can't imagine that Erguetta would knowingly be producing cobs that didn't meet standards. Now, the process of cob production doesn't mean that the assayer was personally producing every single cob themselves. So there is a possibility that some pieces that didn't meet standards would slip through quality control.

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, it's an odd one. Who would bother making a very good fake of a not very valuable coin? The old buildup of crud suggests it is very old indeed. Is there a history of very old fakes out there? Long ago, the coin may have been valuable enough to try and copy..

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, it is a contemporary counterfeit. Neat piece. Besides the overweight, there are 2 red flags. First, Erguetta's assayer mark isn't the typical strong bold capital E. The lower bar of the E in both is off. Also, the 3 on the pilllars side looks off to me. Might just be a style variation, but Erguetta is known for his strong designs. Keep in mind, it was under his guidance that the Potosi mint transitioned from the shield to the pillars/waves design due to the mint scandal. Knowing of the consequences of producing improper weighted pieces and the subsequent death sentence, I can't imagine that Erguetta would knowingly be producing cobs that didn't meet standards. Now, the process of cob production doesn't mean that the assayer was personally producing every single cob themselves. So there is a possibility that some pieces that didn't meet standards would slip through quality control.

Also agreed and mentioned by DD is one of the other things I noticed.

IF this a fake it is one of the better ones I have seen due to the "overall look" and conditions.

Did you test silver content ?

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contemporary counterfeit. That would be pretty cool. I presume they are hard to come by? Have you seen many examples of contemporary fakes?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Ya, it's an odd one. Who would bother making a very good fake of a not very valuable coin? The old buildup of crud suggests it is very old indeed. Is there a history of very old fakes out there? Long ago, the coin may have been valuable enough to try and copy..

You have to keep in mind that if you were to produce a counterfeit, you want it to pass without scrutiny not so much as targeting the largest denomination. An 8R was not a circulating coin. It was used for large purchase and mainly as military pay where many were pressing the King's interests in Europe without pay for months. When the treasure fleets came in, and the money was distributed, the back-pay was substantial. By producing a 1R, it can be used to pay for goods without close scrutiny. Think of the modern day Henning nickel.

And to answer you question on contemporary counterfeits - yes. They exist. As long as money has been produced, there is someone trying counterfeit it.

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I have not tested the silver content. I wouldn't know where to start. Any ideas?

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to keep in mind that if you were to produce a counterfeit, you want it to pass without scrutiny not so much as targeting the largest denomination. An 8R was not a circulating coin. It was used for large purchase and mainly as military pay where many were pressing the King's interests in Europe without pay for months. When the treasure fleets came in, and the money was distributed, the back-pay was substantial. By producing a 1R, it can be used to pay for goods without close scrutiny. Think of the modern day Henning nickel.

And to answer you question on contemporary counterfeits - yes. They exist. As long as money has been produced, there is someone trying counterfeit it.

Thank you for your comments. I'll throw up a photo of the 1672 that is also overweight.

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also agreed and mentioned by DD is one of the other things I noticed.

IF this a fake it is one of the better ones I have seen due to the "overall look" and conditions.

Did you test silver content ?

Thank you for your comments.

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acquired at the same time in the same place. 1672. Potosi. 1 Reale. Overweight. 3.8 grams. A second contemporary counterfeit? 20200622_120740.jpg 20200622_120723.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deleted my original "real" post, So not to confuse people. heh

And I must admit...

I did not read your post and only looked at the coins at first... and just read the title asking if real and then just looked at the pics... was laying down and reading would have required me to lean up... but from that position they looked good though.

I apologize for being slack :P

But they did look good.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS...

I must also admit... the reason I am admitting this... is because I felt a little guilty of hastily replying...

The guilt stemmed from you replying and being so nice... which is rare anymore.

But what did you want for free anyway :P

J/k.

:)

Hope ya got somewhere with them through all this.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find a coin dealer with XRF test machine. Then you will know exactly what it is made of.

No I have not tested the silver content. I wouldn't know where to start. Any ideas?

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deleted my original "real" post, So not to confuse people. heh

And I must admit...

I did not read your post and only looked at the coins at first... and just read the title asking if real and then just looked at the pics... was laying down and reading would have required me to lean up... but from that position they looked good though.

I apologize for being slack :P

All good! Thank you for your time. How would I go about testing the silver content?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am leaning up now btw... at least temporally anyway... so if your gonna post more. :P

Um I have to ask...

How much did you pay ? ??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread