Mexico 1 Real - 'RGS' Abbreviation is Unique?

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a late series, early pillars type Mexico 1 real coin. Fairly detailed. Assayer O. Carlos y Johana. Date range around 1553 to 1570? Carlos' reign ended much earlier (1556?) but it looks like the Mexico mint kept pushing out his name until 1571. According to a Sedwick document. But here is my question.... I see similar Mexico 1 real coins from this date range with 'REGS' in the legend and some with 'REGES', but I cannot see any other examples that use the abbreviation 'RGS'. (almost looks like they used an 8 for an S here). Does my 'RGS' abbreviation help to narrow down the date range? And yes the O assayer is tricky for exact dates as there is a lot of uncertainty about this assayer's exact tenure dates. So.... 'RGS' abbreviation.... does it carry special significance? 3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It would have been either rex (king) or regina (queen), for a single ruler. This is probably an abbreviation of the plural Latin for king and queen. It was probably on the front (oberse) "Carolus et Ionna reges." RG8 is the abbreviation, which was common. Reverse would have read (cross) "Hispania et india rvm" with open pellets for spacers.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever, its a great Find...! :icon_thumright:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The O coinage was the latest, and fell at least partly, and possibly completely, into the first period of the reign of Philip II (1556–1570).
CAROLVSâ—¦ETâ—¦IOHANARGS is one example of at least two dozen Late Series obverse legends.
Source:
http://numismatics.org/digitallibrary/ark:/53695/nnan128937
Don.....

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would have been either rex (king) or regina (queen), for a single ruler. This is probably an abbreviation of the plural Latin for king and queen. It was probably on the front (oberse) "Carolus et Ionna reges." RG8 is the abbreviation, which was common. Reverse would have read (cross) "Hispania et india rvm" with open pellets for spacers.

Ya ok. Thanks for the input. 'RGS' abbreviation is common. I was curious because I struggled to find other examples. Thanks again for your time! :)

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The O coinage was the latest, and fell at least partly, and possibly completely, into the first period of the reign of Philip II (1556–1570).
CAROLVSâ—¦ETâ—¦IOHANARGS is one example of at least two dozen Late Series obverse legends.
Source:
Don.....

Thanks for the input. 2 dozen legend variations. Perfect. :) So, no, RGS does not further narrow down the date range. Got it. Thanks again

OP
OP
N

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Source:
Don.....

And thank you for the link. Wow. An amazing study there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread