101.7 KB · Views: 539
  • Sunday, December 16, 2007 (2).jpg
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 (2).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 520

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Cobs...HEE HAA HEE HAA...

Krause, Mishler Spain, Portugal and the New World.
Seville Spain...dates range from 1622 (D) assayer to 1627-1662 assayer (R)
just my guess but I think that Donkey broke his leg and fell off the trail around the mid 1620s to early 1630s, they look like fully weighted pieces.

bit strange...that they would show in Panama, as they were New World cobs, minted in Mother Spain.

thanks,
Trez

OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
Thanks,Trez.I guess thats why i couldn't find them in "Practical Book of Cobs".Any idea what they're worth and what source book did you locate them with? Thanks again, Keegah

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keegah said:
Thanks,Trez.I guess thats why i couldn't find them in "Practical Book of Cobs".Any idea what they're worth and what source book did you locate them with? Thanks again, Keegah

I did mention the source...next sentence below my HEE HAA HEE HAA

trez

OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
thanks, trez. how did they transport coinage from potosi and mexico city to the galleons? were there certain well traveled routes i.e. patrolled etc.was isthmus of panama a transit point?thanks,keegah

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keegah said:
thanks, trez. how did they transport coinage from potosi and mexico city to the galleons? were there certain well traveled routes i.e. patrolled etc.was isthmus of panama a transit point?thanks,keegah

by mule/donkey train...hee haa hee haa
the cobs you have are not South American - such as Potosi, Lima, Mexican mints (your cobs were already minted in Spain)...so why did they have to ship cobs that were minted in Spain and use Mule train on the "Spanish Camino Real" trail to Panama to send back to Spain? humm.

ask him that? I would like to learn more myself. Thanks

Trez

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
It's possible that the coins started their journey in Spain, made their way to the Philippines via trade, crossed the Pacific on a Manila galleon to Panama, were loaded for transport across the isthmus to the east coast (where accumulated treasure would be shipped off to Spain), and were lost when a mule fell off a cliff or the boat they were on sank in a river (incidences of which were recorded.) Notice that I said "possible".... ;)

OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Would the silver be new world silver?the coins are very heavy.i like them alot; they're a big chunk of silver.are there any maps showing the "Royal Road"? im going to ask the gentleman more info as soon as work slows down.thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone on Tnet. keegah

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keegah said:
Would the silver be new world silver?the coins are very heavy.i like them alot; they're a big chunk of silver.are there any maps showing the "Royal Road"? im going to ask the gentleman more info as soon as work slows down.thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone on Tnet. keegah

Yes...those cobs were likely made from South American/Mexico Silver in bar-form that successfully made it back to Spain on previous Flotillas. You can find info on these trails by using the www.
and Merry Xmas to you too.

Those are very solid cobs you have, nice indeed.
Trez

OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Trez,spoke to the gentleman i got these from.He said they were found around Bogota not Panama, on the way to load them onto the galleons. Any ideas? Thanks, Keegah

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread