Pinpointing help needed

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got V3i last week and could use some help with pinpointing using the standard 10" DD coil. With my XLT, and it's 9.5" concentric coil, I can pinpoint right down to the spot with a detune or two. With this DD coil if I just use the graph lines I'm nowhere near the target. I've found if I detune, like a lot, then turn 90 degrees and detune again I can get pretty close. Is this normal? This is my first DD coil, so it's new to me. I was wondering if messing with the all-metal sensitivity would help?

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my V3i for about 4-5 years now. I use the 10” DD coil. The DD coil should pinpoint in the center around the upper 3/4 of the coil. When you reach the pinpoint location, turn about 90 deg, and continue the pinpoint. The target should be pretty closely at the upper 3/4 of the coil center. I have found the V3i to pinpoint pretty good. Adjusting the all metal sensitivity can very much enhance the target response. There are a number of good programs posted on the whites V3i forum. Keep using the detector and trying different settings. The detector has an adjusted for just about everything. It takes a little bit to learn, but it’s worth it. Do you have the manual?

OP
OP
D

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the manual. I'm just used to the concentric coil of my XLT, with that I can literally quickly pinpoint to a pinpoint. With the V3i I did find that turning 90 and pinpointing again definitely helps narrow it down. It'll just take some practice which I'll get if it ever stops raining around here on my time off. I also have the 12: concentric coil if I feel the need to use it. I think a new pinpointer may help too. I'm rocking a 20yr old Tinytec that has maybe 1" range. With my XLT that was fine, but I think I'll upgrade to the Fisher F-pulse here soon.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An good pinpointer helps. The Fpulse looks pretty good. I have had the TRX for a few years. Good luck learning the detector and adjust the settings! It can really change the detector to suit what you want.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t buy a Fpulse until you try one out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread