Amazing to me there are not more threads on this machine.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with a couple of you on the topic of the cult followings some detectors have. I don't find the V3i wanting in any way to the new Equinox, yet that following is completely behind it. I have a good representation of all the available machines E-trac, V3i, F70 & 75 At-Pro, At-gold many others, so what I can say with certainty. White's (I call them Hard line models) MXT DFX V3i (Metal Box machines) have a certain quality feel to them. I don't feel like I can break the machine. I remember a conversation I had with Dave Johnson, who told me that should be a specification on all detectors. (Quality feel) I have finished a weight comparison test between several machines and it has surprised me how close the weight between machines really is. I would have thought the weight difference was greater but its not.
I agree the metal box is very nice when hunting deep wooded thickets, the places where you would worry about breaking those cheaper plastic detectors. I hope White's will keep offering the metal box detectors, because as more and more metal detect the more off the beaten path you have to go to find the good stuff. HH

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do like the White's V3i a true three frequency (Tx, Rx and signal process) machine. The user is also given quality information on the target. :icon_thumleft:

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do like the White's V3i a true three frequency (Tx, Rx and signal process) machine. The user is also given quality information on the target. :icon_thumleft:

I started detecting just after the MXT/GMT models were introduced with a new MXT and quickly decided it was not "sophisticated enough" to find the targets I was after. Within 7 or 8 months I had moved on to a new V3i and BURIED myself in doodoo trying to figure out how to make that beast run, as in I FLAMED OUT. It was easy to get it into a space where it couldn't find a quarter laying on the ground. After about a year it was gone and I purchased an E-trac which was a coin hog and found much silver in parks I had been in with the Whites Machines. A couple years with that and I realized that iron trash could kill its performance and so the next level was the super fast Deus when it first came out. I now own only an MXTPRO. Why? because in all my fussing trying to find the perfect detector, I learned along the way that there is no such thing and that the MXT can out hunt almost anything on any given day even if you haven't had it in your handsfor 6 months.... IF you pay just a little attention to the few controls it has as it has the almost perfect ground balance/tracking system of the GMT, has a full on all metal mode, a mixed mode, discrimination mode and threshold....... Simple, deep and effective and lots of coils available. I know this is a blog about the V3i, but if you strap one of those on, you definitely better be committed to many hundreds of hours figuring out how to get it working as it is not for everyone and takes PATIENCE at levels most detectorists just don't have and I think this is one of the biggest reasons the V3i has never gained the mainstream many people were expecting (me included) The Whites forum has EXTENSIVE threads (as in thousands)for the V3i because the machine requires the support of a community to sort it out. I think I would have been more successful if I had a few years experience with other models first, and used the stock program settings for a long time until I began understanding it at a level that sent me looking for a tweak to get me past a bump in the road, but all those adjustments just begged for adjusting and it killed my confidence in the machine before I could learn it. I think the V3i is a fine machine, it will never be good at prospecting due to its poor ground tracking system, but can be made to perform well in other venues IF you are willing to make the committment.
Good Luck to all.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting just after the MXT/GMT models were introduced with a new MXT and quickly decided it was not "sophisticated enough" to find the targets I was after. Within 7 or 8 months I had moved on to a new V3i and BURIED myself in doodoo trying to figure out how to make that beast run, as in I FLAMED OUT. It was easy to get it into a space where it couldn't find a quarter laying on the ground. After about a year it was gone and I purchased an E-trac which was a coin hog and found much silver in parks I had been in with the Whites Machines. A couple years with that and I realized that iron trash could kill its performance and so the next level was the super fast Deus when it first came out. I now own only an MXTPRO. Why? because in all my fussing trying to find the perfect detector, I learned along the way that there is no such thing and that the MXT can out hunt almost anything on any given day even if you haven't had it in your handsfor 6 months.... IF you pay just a little attention to the few controls it has as it has the almost perfect ground balance/tracking system of the GMT, has a full on all metal mode, a mixed mode, discrimination mode and threshold....... Simple, deep and effective and lots of coils available. I know this is a blog about the V3i, but if you strap one of those on, you definitely better be committed to many hundreds of hours figuring out how to get it working as it is not for everyone and takes PATIENCE at levels most detectorists just don't have and I think this is one of the biggest reasons the V3i has never gained the mainstream many people were expecting (me included) The Whites forum has EXTENSIVE threads (as in thousands)for the V3i because the machine requires the support of a community to sort it out. I think I would have been more successful if I had a few years experience with other models first, and used the stock program settings for a long time until I began understanding it at a level that sent me looking for a tweak to get me past a bump in the road, but all those adjustments just begged for adjusting and it killed my confidence in the machine before I could learn it. I think the V3i is a fine machine, it will never be good at prospecting due to its poor ground tracking system, but can be made to perform well in other venues IF you are willing to make the committment.
Good Luck to all.
Yep I use the MXT pro as well, even it takes time to learn well to get the most out of it. The MXT is a beast for sure with tracking like no other that will pick through iron very well if you can slow down enough, once learned well one can bypass most all trash going by sound alone and it's as deep as any with the right coil and settings. HH

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it's not a high end machine anymore, everyone has moved on to Noxes and Deus's that run circles around the v3i.

I'm going to take it out tomorrow though and see if I can dig some miniballs and skip some modern day shell casings.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's not a high end machine anymore, everyone has moved on to Noxes and Deus's that run circles around the v3i.

I'm going to take it out tomorrow though and see if I can dig some miniballs and skip some modern day shell casings.
Just because some people will never be able to get the most out of the V3i doesn't mean there are better detectors out there, some will master it while others will never get the hang of it no matter how much they try. Does this mean there are better detectors for some people, it sure does if your a person that can't get the hang of all the adjustments then there are better detectors for you to use. Someone that can master all the settings and what the V3i has to offer will be hard to beat for sure. HH

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an 800 and a V3i, and the NOX in no way runs circles around a V3i. No other metal detector out there tells you more about a target before you dig then a V3i. Sorry I don't agree.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the V3i and have been for years. I have mastered it pretty well. My buddy runs the Nox with a 17 inch coil. It is the deepest machine I have ever seen. I run the V3i with the 15 x 18 and 12 x15 coils. The Nox will go an inch or 2 deeper. How ever the V3i will analyze the target way better give me better separation. There is only one or two spots here in Spokane that the coins are that deep so it's not much of a trade off. I find way more gold and silver jewelry than he does. Because it has only a few VDI numbers compared to 190 on the V it will make you dig a lot more junk if you want to get the good stuff. Also when you run multi frequencies at the same time it is way better to compare the different freq against each other. This is by far the best feature of the V3i

Last edited:

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the vote is in. The v3i is a highly effective machine like the president, but don’t dare talk about it in public.

Carlitosway2

Apr 11, 2016
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
(Favorite) CTX 3030
(Back up) whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V3i was my first machine and felt it was great but then wanted something that I didn’t have to worry about dropping in the water and got the CTX3030 and I’m sorry to say for me it is a far more superior machine. Found boat loads of cool relics that my V3i didn’t pick up in years of detecting in same fields. All said and done they cost me about the same the time I got every coil possible for the Whites. Sorry just my opinion. :dontknow:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't know how to adjust it for the area your detecting you'll never get the most out of it, in the right hands you wouldn't be finding anything the V3i missed the your CTX. HH

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what is more surprising, how quiet the internet is on Whites in general or how quiet it is about the V3I. This machine is pretty amazing and Ive only scratched the surface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions