Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By AllenJ
  • 3 Post By McKinney_5900
  • 2 Post By wingmaster
  • 2 Post By Tahts-a-dats-ago
  • 1 Post By GreenMeanie
  • 1 Post By Professor of Engineering

Thread: I just Joined the V3i Club!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Just a Simple Man

Sep 2010
    Ellisville, Mississippi
    White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, White's Treasure Master, and a Whites Coin Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
    162 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question I just Joined the V3i Club!

Howdy to all! I have been wanting a V3i, for a while now & ended up getting one sooner than expected because a good deal on a used one came up. Anyway, the machine I have been swinging for a few years now is the MXT Pro, and I really like this machine, but figured if the V3i was all it is hyped up to be that upgrading couldn't hurt. That said while I am trying to learn the V3i, the MXT Pro is still going to be my goto machine. Unfortunately, even though I have a great group of local detectorist to hunt with, none of them swing a V3i, so I have no one local to help me work thru the learning curve of the V3i.

Ok, So Question 1: What program would you suggest for me to use simply to get familiar with the V3i... On the Pro I use Coin-Jewelry Mode, with Gain between 5 & 10 depending on trash in the ground, and for the most part my discrimination set just below a nickel.

Question 2: What is the best coil to get maximum depth on coin size items?

Question 3: What water-proof carrying case would you suggest for storing and traveling with the V3i?
    Last edited by Wannabe Treasure Hunter; Feb 11, 2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Enjoy the natural treasures all around you while searching for the man made treasures you can cash in.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Vaquero
    17426 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Not sure which settings would be best. Go with what the manual suggests. I would hesitate on tweaking any settings for a few weeks at least. I've heard they are very good machines. There are a lot of good machines out there right now.

us
    Mar 2018
    Northern CA
    White's TDI SL, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer
    128 times
    Prospecting
    Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure once you get that detector down you'll love it as they have a great rep. That being said I've heard they have a steep learning curve. I would suggest you get on the White's forum and pose your question there. One of the moderators runs the V3i and really sounds like he knows what he's doing with it.

us
    Jul 2010
    284 times
    The program I'd suggest is coin and jewelry. Try running with the 5khz filter if your soil and EMI conditions allow it. The 5-bandpass filter gives best depth. I wouldn't change many setting for a while. Too many changes at once seems to confuse the V3i.

Coils. which I never learned to like most of the Whites coils made for the V3i. The D2 was one of the first V3i coils I set aside. Next was the 6x10DD Eclipse. The 6x10 was disappointing in depth, about 7 inches with good VDI was about all I could trust for detecting simple dimes.

I love the 4x6 Shooter. IMO, it gets better depth than the 6x10. It is small though. The 8x6 Detech has found me 9" coins with confidence.

My primary coils I use on mine are either the Detech 8x6 or the SEF 12x10. Whites actually sells the Ultimate 13" so they logically support that it's stability and reliability for working with the 3 frequency multi mode. They caution against using the ones I like. I bought the U13" but it just didn't separate nor feel right compared to the 8x6 and 12x10.

so, 12x10 coil for max, good Vdi depth. I never tried a V-rated 950 concentric White's coil, but I suspect it would be good since the 950 works great on my White's M6. The 950 is also recommended for any salt water beach hunting. The DD coils won't like salt.

I will surely get disagreements about the 10"D2, and I possibly had a lot of trouble with the D2 since I had just started metal detecting and made the V3i my first paid-for metal detector. This machine takes patience. The D2 might be fine.

A good friend of mine who ran an MXT Pro was very happy with the Ultimate 13 on the Pro. Mine is hardly used, but it's always there for trying in good open, clean ground, in good soil. Sadly, I have very few of those conditions around me. It's mineralized, and generally trashy here.

Neat thing about buying extra coils for the V, is that they work on the MXT.

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
    787 times
    Congrats on your V3i, I would try Magic's program that you can find at the White's forum you will have to tweak it some for your soil though. I know it works good detected with him a few times he uses the D2 coil and gets dimes at 10"+ all day long. HH

us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    230 times
    Congratulations.

I'd suggest that you stick with the stock programs for awhile. Make only a few adjustments as needed (filters, RX gain, discrimination).

Mixed Mode Pro will likely be a bit too much at first, but if you learn that program it will open a whole new world for you.

Go to Whites forums - there is a ton of information about the V3i there.

Once you've got a good grasp on the basics, you can create/save your own programs (designed for your hunting conditions/style).

I use only the stock DD coil and the 4 X 6 coil. I've had very good luck with both. I have no personal experience with the 13 inch coil, but have read very good reviews of that coil.

I use the Whites detector bag to transport my V3i. I don't believe it is waterproof though.

us
    Jun 2006
    TreasureTerrain.com
    XP DEUS NOX 800
    273 times
    From what I remember when I had mine was to bump up the pre amp gain some.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    19470 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    IMHO: Coin and Jewelry to learn the machine and bump up the gain if your soil will let the machine run quietly. Use the preset programs for a while until you learn the machine. Be warned there is a learning curve to this machine with all the setting, that will help you or totally confuse you. Take your time and enjoy the great new detector!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links