Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terrible1 said:
We spend a good part of our summer caving and exploring old mines. The old mines are dangerous but the caves are (in my opinion) as safe as any man made building. Most caves have been around for millions of years and will stil be here when we are gone.

This is my 8 year old. This is about 150 feet down vertical and 800 feet lateral from the opening. Theres a 60 foot repel to get in (it was an ancient geiser). We play it safe when we take him in, always keep him on a second rope on belay, he's a very good climber and spends 2 days a week in the climbing gym in the winter for fun. We leave a glow stick trail and always keep people at the opening. If you play it safe you can enjoy it and not have problems.

july23hoyts004.jpg

Exploring old mines is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! Many old mines have pockets of methane gas in them. Mines are also much more prone to collapse than caves.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
One of my prize possessions is a Burkhead safety rack, hand made by Lowell himself a few years before he died. He taught my son how to use it. Lowell was a fanatic on safety, which is why he turned his safety rack design for public usage. He knew it was going to save lives.

He also invented some years ago an acetylene head light that would work upside down or when dropped, and also turned it over to the public in the belief it would save lives.

He had a fantastic, almost sick, sense of humor. He used to make me laugh for five minutes with some of his antics.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of 3 caves but I am always by myself and wont go in them. I would love to know what is inside though. Maybe some treasure I hope.

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they can be dangerous but they can also have rewards,several years ago,several friends and I decided to go camping at a state park that has a cave in the rock that the park is named after,Enchanted Rock,here in the hill country in Tx. Well the cave is more like a crack that is about a 100 yards long and starts out at the high end of the rock and goes down towards the ground at the other end,lots of people go thru the cave and when it rains it's like a waterpark ride in the cave.Well we decided to clean it out that weekend all 100 yards of it,which took us about 4 hours and we found all kinds of good stuff like 20 flashlights and flashlight parts(about 5 were keepers) and still worked,watches,necklaces rings and lots and lots of diapers(why!!),and lots of food rappers and 5 wallets ,1 had $2000 in it and had been lost the day before we got there.Well we came off the rock with about 20 trash bags and we took the wallets to the park ranger station,they were supprised that anybody would do that for them,that they give each of us a free park pass for any state park in Texas for a year. :hello2:

Good job partner. I love Enchanted Rock and you did thousands a great service.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caving is like any other hobby - get the best equipment you can afford, follow the rules of safety and ethics, be aware of your surroundings, do your homework (preparation) and use your common sense. I don't go caving because of physical disabilities, but caving/spelunking is a bonafide hobby, enjoyed by many worldwide. Hats off to those who cave!

Anita

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A cave is natural, a mine is manmade. Caving, as far as structure, are pretty safe, it's falling down pits and flooding that you have to worry about in most caves. Exploring mines is dangerous (they are not caves), not to say I don't do it, but it is much more dangerous than exploring caves and are far more apt to cave in. Caves come in different varieties and their safety varies with the different type of caves. Caves in limestone, which are the ones we all are familiar with having speleothems in them, are pretty safe structurally, they are normally millions of years old and the chances of them falling in the brief moment you are in them, is very slim. Talus caves, those formed by boulders being stacked on top of each other, are more dangerous due to the way they are formed. Lava tubes are fairly safe as well, usually don't have a lot of deep pits due to the way they are formed. Sea caves are formed by weak rocks giving way to the pounding of the oceans, you need to be aware of the tide tables to explore them safely. Ice caves are temporary and can be safe or not depending on the size, shape and temperature. Spelunking (caving) certainly should have a place on this forum and is a good source for safety tips. Always tell someone where you are going, when to expect you back, have the right gear for the cave, always have a backup (or two) light source, wear a hardhat and be aware of flooding possibilities (storms or tides).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much for friendly advice...

You guys did notice this thread is 3 years old? The original poster has not posted since he made the first post....

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I noticed the first post was old. Reading the rest of the posts sent shivers down my spine thinking back when I was a kid growing up in East Tennessee. A cave or an old coal mine was a must to be explored. Risk, what risk? There were treasures to be found. If you count several old tools and two miners lunch boxes treasure. They were to a kid. Now, you couldn't drive me into a mine or cave with a shotgun.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go caving every weekend and there are not many dangers at all. caving is a great hobby and the results are very rewarding. I have been in 20 or so different wild caves and there are not many dangers as long as you have at least 4 or so sources of light and and a helmet and all the proper clothing and equipment.
Also i think that this forum is a great idea

Agree.
I've been caving around 50 years, and belong to the National Speleological Society and a chartered "Grotto" (club) of that national organization.
Caves (can be) dangerous, and due caution should be used when entering them.
Be aware that entrances are the most common place for accidents, primarily falling rock, slipping, etc.
ALWAYS cave with at least one more person, better three or more in the team - so, if a disabling injury happens, one can stay with the injured, the other goes for help.
Take gloves, helmet, good traction ankle-covering boots and (minimum) three sources of light with extra batteries..., food, water, and the kitchen sink!
Oh! And also be sure to bring an extra measure of common sense - never go beyond what the weakest member of your team can do.
Be sure to give someone an idea where you are going to be, and when you expect to return, too.
Leave the cave as you found it.
Take Nothing But Pictures, Leave Nothing But Footprints, Kill Nothing But Time!
Have Fun! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread