Researching caves, tunnels, adits in NC....

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I will be posting this in two forums so sorry if you have to read it twice.

I have been a gold prospector in central NC for about 15 years.

Over the years I have wandered all over the Uhwarrie National Forest as well as many other areas, and found quite a few historical artifacts, old mines, building sites, and especially tunnels, adits and shafts dug while looking for hard rock gold and placer gold deposits.

Ive researched a lot of these areas and have quite a lot of books and papers on the locations of these places, and have used this material to locate almost all of the tunnels they talk about. There are a few that I haven't had the time to find yet but as time permits I like to look for them.

I have also found two natural caves, both in Stanly County.

With that said I have recently found some mention of a natural cave system near the Rocky River between Stanly and Anson counties in North Carolina. My information on this cave is very vague and doesn't help me to find it at all, other than to give me more than one account of its existence which bodes well for it not being just some wild story...

My question is does anyone else know anything about this cave system?

My understanding is it is fairly difficult to find without knowing it is there and one account stated that you could be standing 5 feet from the entrance and not know it was there.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the local cave grotto.You would be surprised how many caves are mapped.
Good luck
TnMtns

Rptyd

Sep 11, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Antique Gold Mountain, lol..
North Carolina

* Bryson City Grotto
* Flittermouse Grotto
* Triangle Troglodytes
If you need contact info. let me know!
These are all pretty good folks. :icon_pirat:

Plotus

Greenie
Oct 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in that area, down 52 past Wadesboro. I'll ask some of the old timers, as I'm not from here. As for myself, I havn't come across even any stories of caves in these parts, but there's got to be something around here. I'm inclined to think caverns should be around in NC. Rocky River's not too far from me, maybe about 10-15 miles, I think its before Ansonville? but not positive. Hoping your still around 'Placerman' but it's been clear back in 2010 so nearly three years have passed. I'd like to hear more, maybe tag up with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread