Where some caves in Kentucky I can go Spelunking?

Lawyer_up

Mar 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm back from NYC and in my hometown of Kentucky for a few weeks. I need to know where some good caves are to go spelunking. I started my hobby in South America a year ago, but this is the first time I've had the chance to try it in Kentucky.
My cousin and I plan to stay the night. I've got more then enough gear, but I can't seem to find a hassle free cave to hit up. I've searched online for some entrances to Mammoth that aren't secured, but no luck.
Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks guys!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Kentucky is one big cave. About the only way you'll get in Mammoth is with a NSS Grotto. The Park Service has private access to Mammoth with these groups. Google NSS and you'll find one in Kentucky but probably not on your schedule.
Grottos from many States plan trips to places like Kentucky. There are many great caves there and no need to just think Mammoth. Some most have never heard of. No group knows more about location, access etc. then the NSS.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I went into mammoth cave several years ago, before it got very popular. Back then you could rent or buy a lantern or flashlight at the general store in Rooster Run, Kentucky, then enter the cavern at your own risk. There were two of us, but we didn't explore very far as we were on a trip and just found the place by accident. It really is a very large cavern at its entrance. I hear now that is has become commercialized and they serve meals just inside the main entrance, picnic tables and chairs are set up to accomodate those interested in having a meal there. It is supposedly the longest cavern system in the world. Good Luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread