What are these cave mud mounds and their meaning if any?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks I have tried to find out what this etched mound means (outside from long ago doodling) for quite awhile with this cave. There are several ones which are so curved and blend into the cave floor and then this one which appears to have been "shaped" and/or built then a symbol carved into the left end and letters and/or symbols carved to the right. Many of the symbols have faded due to its age. This mound appears to have "sunk" into the cave floor unlike the others around. It also have an opening and/or tunnel behind it which appears to have been blocked off for whatever reason. I found another one further back which is "shaped" and it too has a tunnel behind it which goes back 8-10 ft. I'm posting this here now to try and find someone who recognizes what these are. I started a thread in "Todays Finds" named "Metal Detecting TN. Cave / Anybody done this? about 2 months ago seeking answers. HERES WHAT I'D LIKE TO KNOW NOW... Does anyone know if ancients and or native American's buried their dead within caves (YES) and create mud mounds around them? Please if you have any idea's respond here and/or in the ongoing thread on "Todays Finds" please... The photo labeled "closeup 2" is from the left side of mound. Thank you very much.... Brad

Attachments

• DSCN0863.JPG
    DSCN0863.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 577
  • Z13.JPG
    Z13.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 703
  • Z1.JPG
    Z1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 707
  • FCB #11.JPG
    FCB #11.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 487
  • Closeup 2.JPG
    Closeup 2.JPG
    783.5 KB · Views: 595
  • S6302643.JPG
    S6302643.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 575
Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know anything on this thread about Runes or Runic inscriptions? Do any of the symbols above appear to be these?

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that you should post this under the treasure signs and symbols forum. I do see a carving of a heart..which is significant...Steve

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that you should post this under the treasure signs and symbols forum. I do see a carving of a heart..which is significant...Steve

Thanks Steve.... I already did.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also are you or the cave located any were near the old Spanish trail.

Hickman Co. / Duck River / Natchez Trace ... Not up on old "Spanish trail" history and/or its location to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also are you or the cave located any were near the old Spanish trail.

What would you do with this scenario... WAY BACK in cave, height 24" - 30"... width 36" and stream about 3-4" deep. This mound is squared up and has an opening behind it that goes back a ways. Just getting to this point is very hard and what this structure is doing their is a mystery to me.... I cannot "explore" what is under it or behind it without destroying it....???? I'd like to know what's behind this mound in the tunnel behind it. Any ideas folks...???????

Attachments

• S6302854.JPG
    S6302854.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 516

Bumbalawski

Mar 2, 2015
Beans Cove Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures two and six are of recent etchings (maybe around 100-200 years). Perhaps a clay mining operation. I would not be afraid to dig around those mounds. And how far back is "way back". A general survey like a simple line plot and measurement would help.

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think a relic-hunting-quality metal detector could be helpful. I was a spelunker back in my college years, and knowing what I know now, I sure wish I'd had a metal detector with me on some of those caving trips.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pictures two and six are of recent etchings (maybe around 100-200 years). Perhaps a clay mining operation. I would not be afraid to dig around those mounds. And how far back is "way back". A general survey like a simple line plot and measurement would help.

"Way back" is never stopping going forward. This included belly crawling 90% of the time. One time you have get your nose into the roof, crawl forward through 12" of water and end up on a sandbar about 30 yds. later. So to answer your question from the entrance to this point is 40 minutes.

I'll probably never before my death understand what this is that I found.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...know what that means to me......dig here or should I say hir. You gotta get a machine in there !! Dig Brad Dig !! Looks like fun !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread