Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So here is the deal...
I am wanting to do a little spelunking in my area (Twin Cities, MN) there were some teenagers who died a few years ago from carbon monoxide poisoning. Has anyone used a pulse oximeter for spelunking before?
One would assume if I monitor the O2 level in my blood I could see signs and symptoms sooner than just passing out from CM poisoning... Any thoughts?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be very careful because you won't know it until its too late and you still have to get out of the cave. I would have some sort of back up plan because if the levels in your body got critical, you will still have to get out of the cave, ASAP. Nonetheless, you shouldn't even have levels of carbon monoxide in your body to begin with. If it is important enough, I would go as far as to have oxygen bottles or some sort of scrubber to breath through.

Why is there carbon monoxide in the cave to begin with? Is it naturally occurring or were the teenagers poisoned by a lantern?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is the deal...
I am wanting to do a little spelunking in my area (Twin Cities, MN) there were some teenagers who died a few years ago from carbon monoxide poisoning. Has anyone used a pulse oximeter for spelunking before?
One would assume if I monitor the O2 level in my blood I could see signs and symptoms sooner than just passing out from CM poisoning... Any thoughts?

A pulse oximeter WILL NOT tell you how much CO is in your blood!!! It is only measuring how "full" the hemoglobin is with attached gas, and it can't see the difference between oxygen attachment and CO attachment.

You would be much better served by carrying a gas testing device.

S

stefen

Several teens lost their lives in an abandoned and boarded-up mine in Silverado Canyon, CA (orange County) about 15 years ago.

Even if they had carried a 'canary' it would have been too late.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The kids might have succumbed to carbon dioxide and not carbon monoxide if they were in a cave. Most bad gas in caves is CO2 carbon dioxide. That's because of the action of acid water acting on limestone. Monoxide along with methane is more often associated with mining and especially coal. CO2 sinks low and is common at terminal sumps in caves. Either way both can kill.
You can buy detectors for these gasses. Ebay has them in the industrial area under HVAC. Used they aren't too pricy but you'll need to probably replace the sensors as they usually have a life.
Best bet is if the cave isn't breathing think twice about going in. A cave that breathes will probably be ok You should be able to feel a good breeze at the entrance. Mines are usually more dangerous than caves as mines often don't breathe where many caves are underground water flows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions