theoldhistory

Dec 16, 2016
Caswell co. State of Franklin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101(RIP)
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ive recently moved to the property and ive wanted to explore this thing... i started to dig around it and so far the more i dig the more rocks i find. i also found one single bone that was under a half broken pot>???
IMG_1505JPG.jpg

OP
OP
theoldhistory

theoldhistory

Dec 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indian steve. is this enough pictures? ive thought since i seen it, that it was native american. although, ive looked at every state aboriginal map and my property just isnt on it. unless it is older then that map accounts for there are about 5 other burial mounds and a few caves that are in my immediate county. included in the picture is picures of just how many rocks there is, and more pictures of the object itself... thanks for the help---- dakota
IMG_1505.JPG IMG_1506.JPG IMG_1507.JPG IMG_1508.JPG IMG_1509.JPG IMG_1510.JPG IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1512.JPG

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean about Tenn being one big cave. I once was in a Grotto that was involved in that area.
American Indian burial mounds I've seen have been formed above ground level for obvious reasons.
Where your find is, look for what is called "Karst" This is a deepening of the ground from where a cave ceiling fell.
Sometimes there can be several in a rather small area. Some cavers will drive around looking for these depressions.
Planning a discovery trip.

I have seen where entrances to caves that have been filled in with stuff (Once garbage bags filled with leaves) maybe
to keep kids out.
The pot looks to me like American stone ware IMO. The nearby dump might offer more pieces.
There is a web site that I lost but it has to do with ID bones.
A post there might tell you something. about the bone. Seems every time I go out on an adventure I will find a bone.
Discovering the original owner is also interesting.

OP
OP
theoldhistory

theoldhistory

Dec 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what preparations would i need to make before "opening up" this formation? the area in the pictures is in a depression and then a hill behind it and on that hill slope there are several smaller piles of rocks ive dug up one and it just keeps going deeper.... there is a larger pile of rocks that stands about 6 ft high by about 20-30ft long there are several of these that are simply covered by fallen leaves, the area also has an old creek bed ( its long since been dried up) i wonder if the cave might hold any civil war pieces? :0
but seriously what precautions and equipment would i need to take with? but it seems the above pictured area carries over across to the other side where the other piles of rocks are. the below picture should make it easier. there is a depression which is where the cave is then its a sudden uphill and on the downslope on the other side there is several smaller piles of rocks... i actually dug up a smaller cave in one of the piles

Attachments

• cave...jpg
    cave...jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
To make your adventure a lot more fun I might contact a Cave Grotto near by. There are very well established Grotto's in Tenn.
The advantage is not only their expertise but sharing a common interest.
It's also a whole bunch safer with people that know caves.
Oh BTW, did I mention caves are a learning experience. They can bite.

Caves in your area are an underground river and if it rains upstream you can drown. I'm not trying to discourage you but just saying there are a lot of people willing to share the experience and go with.

OP
OP
theoldhistory

theoldhistory

Dec 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where i live its at the end of a ridgeline. kind of in the middle of the hill but at the bottom at the same time. not sure if a river would run underground.. but at the same time the cherokee river is less than 3 miles from my house. im actually contacting some local geologist and i may try to find a grotto. morristown alone sits on a giant county wide cave.
i would like to get into the hobby. and deffinatly dig up the cave in my yard lmao

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Tennessee is what's called a karst landscape. The limestone under foot will allow rivers and streams to find a way below itself.
I've found all kinds a terrestrial stuff in caves. Bottles, trash, etc. River water will find a way below itself.
To find a Grotto just Google the NSS. National Speleological Society. There will be contacts there.
There seem to be two types of cavers. Hard core and Sunday. Sunday cavers like to simply walk in and back out. Hard core are a lot like mountaineers. The harder the better. Sort of like rock climbing in the dark.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I don't see any signs of a cave opening, but the only way to satisfy your curiosity is to keep on digging till you are confident in what is or isn't there.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
In an area like Tennessee karst caves aren't always obvious.I've been in one in particular where it was basically invisible on the land.
Just a hole but a great cave. Very difficult access but worth it. Someone taking time to put rocks in a hole might have had a purpose.

OP
OP
theoldhistory

theoldhistory

Dec 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its more then that... there are rock piles all over the area ive never in my life seen so many random piles of rock in a forest. i even think i found black sand around one of em ( but it could also be rich mountian soil) its the blackest dirt ive ever seen

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The trees look young from your photo. Could the land have been plowed for crops. Farmers often make rock piles so they can plow. Usually farmers don't carry rocks farther than they need to.
A farm might also account for the dump.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
where i live its at the end of a ridgeline. kind of in the middle of the hill but at the bottom at the same time. not sure if a river would run underground.. but at the same time the cherokee river is less than 3 miles from my house. im actually contacting some local geologist and i may try to find a grotto. morristown alone sits on a giant county wide cave.
i would like to get into the hobby. and deffinatly dig up the cave in my yard lmao

A large portion of Jefferson County, at least the Northern half, sits on top of a Zinc Mine so large that they drive Dump Trucks through it and it has been described to me as a large city underground. Sometimes, mainly at night, you can feel rumbles from the equipment passing underneath and feel charges being set off every now and then. Some homes are sinking and I have never understood why we cannot get Mine Subsidence Insurance!

Frank

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there is possibly something of value do not tell anyone and especially the government until you know for sure. They will squash you and take it all without hesitation.
Don't tell anyone! Especially your government or anyone tied to them.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If there is possibly something of value do not tell anyone and especially the government until you know for sure. They will squash you and take it all without hesitation.
Don't tell anyone! Especially your government or anyone tied to them.

Sorry man but you are seriously a tad paranoid. Believe it or not but no one cares. Especially the Government.
I've been on this planet a long time and the biggest problem seems to be how to get the Government to pay any attention to any thing.
Now not to disrespect where your coming from as I can understand how easy it is to give over power to an authority because all that's needed is to do just that, but no body needs to.
Even it your diabolical Government does what you fear, what has been lost? A hole in the ground?

BTW I've been in your beautiful Gunnison and felt privileged.

OP
OP
theoldhistory

theoldhistory

Dec 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA, got it. the biggest find so far is an olden piece of a farm sickle.. or atleast i think its a sickle

Bumbalawski

Mar 2, 2015
Beans Cove Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just doing a GE overview of the location in question. There are a few decent sinks in that area and several places where there is water catchment. If there is a cave in there, you may feel airflow through the rocks. In the higher elevations, airflow will be noted during outside temperatures below cave temperatures. Air flow will be noted at lower elevations when the outside temperature is above cave temperatures.

Don Carns Jr
NSS 54725
Western Maryland Grotto

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just doing a GE overview of the location in question. There are a few decent sinks in that area and several places where there is water catchment. If there is a cave in there, you may feel airflow through the rocks. In the higher elevations, airflow will be noted during outside temperatures below cave temperatures. Air flow will be noted at lower elevations when the outside temperature is above cave temperatures.

Don Carns Jr
NSS 54725
Western Maryland Grotto

Hello NSS. I was a member of the Windy City Grotto in Chicago when I lived there 30 years ago.
Good to hear from a pro.

OP
OP
theoldhistory

theoldhistory

Dec 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about the location in question, when i dig and pull out rocks there is just more rocks to be found, the area is in a depression compared to the rest of the property what would be the cause of so many rocks to be in one place? should i take more pictures for you guys?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread