Abandoned caves in Pennsylvania

matt_72

Jul 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living in State College, I'm not aware of a lot of options when it comes to caves. There's the J4 cave, but was closed a while ago by Graymont *shakes fist at Graymont*.

Other than that, I just don't know of any caves that are open to cave exploring, abandoned or otherwise. If you live in the Commonwealth and you know of any caves that are abandoned and not sealed off or are open to the public, please provide a list of locations or message me.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If you join a local grotto you'll find not only caves but often someone with a key to unlock them. Google the NSS. National Speleological Society. Lots of people of like mind. They also know where the caves are. The Grotto often has permission to explore on private property. Cave safe.

Bumbalawski

Mar 2, 2015
Beans Cove Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with the Nittany Grotto in State College. Great group of people but they may not share any info unless you join and show what your intentions are.

Don Carns Jr.

NSS# 54725

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Check with the Nittany Grotto in State College. Great group of people but they may not share any info unless you join and show what your intentions are.

Don Carns Jr.

NSS# 54725

I agree Don. The NSS is as much about protection as exploration. Our underground wilderness heritage.
Another advantage with a grotto is most people really have no idea what's underground. How easy it is to loose the way, not have needed supplies, getting stuck or breaking a bone, flash floods, breaking your only light source. These are just the obvious hazards.

I recall in Iowa, some students dropped into a cave from above a winter morning. In the day the snow and ice began to melt and drained into the cave. The students made an attempt to rope climb out. two made it but hypothermia caught the other three (if memory serves) on the ropes and they died there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread