Need to know the Dangers of Opening a Tunnel
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree64Likes
  • 8 Post By HappyTrails55
  • 5 Post By 1637
  • 8 Post By Joanne
  • 8 Post By eyemustdigtreasure
  • 6 Post By Milspec6
  • 4 Post By FloodcityTom
  • 3 Post By mrcolin2u
  • 5 Post By Xraywolf
  • 2 Post By cyzak
  • 6 Post By HappyTrails55
  • 1 Post By cyzak
  • 4 Post By HappyTrails55
  • 2 Post By cyzak
  • 2 Post By William the Conqueror

Thread: Need to know the Dangers of Opening a Tunnel

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Sep 2005
    Paso Robles
    Teknetics G2
    306 times

Need to know the Dangers of Opening a Tunnel

Okay so, I'm a old guy now (70) and have been looking for this old lost spanish mine for years now and we think we have found it but it has a rock boulder plug in it that we need to remove. It hasn't been opened for like 200 years. I want to know about the dangers with stuff like Bad Air and the devices that can detect it. I also want to know if there is any one of you professional speologists that has dealed with something like this and are available. Thanks, Darrell

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1596 times
    sounds cool,good luck,be safe, please keep us posted,
    brad
    HappyTrails55, Phil, U.B. and 2 others like this.

Aug 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    209 times
    Prospecting
    Happy Trails, that sounds mighty exciting!

One of the real dangers of "bad air" is from rotting timbers. If the mine is dry, then that risk is diminished but not eliminated. Assuming that the location is anonymous and away from inquiring eyes, I would recommend pulling the boulder away from the adit just enough that the mine can "breath". Not necessarily even enough for someone to squeeze inside. If there are any other connections to the surface, the mine will naturally have convections that will exchange air in the mine. If not, rolling the boulder away a bit will allow natural heating and cooling, as well as barometric changes, to refresh the air in the mine. I would give it a week or two before entering.

I haven't used this company, but they rent gas meters by the day and week if you feel you need one. https://www.raecorents.com/rae-syste...igas-detector/

Of course, if you can find someone you trust with experience in mine work or mine exploring, it would be good for them to go with you for the initial survey of the mine. There are potential hazards that an experienced person will see that you may not.

Joanne

us
    Mar 2013
    California
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    3788 times
    Metal Detecting
    Underground environment is NOT friendly...!
    I speak with over 50yrs of caving experience.
    Mines are more hazardous than caves (don't quote me!),
    as puddles of water may appear to be shallow, but likely a flooded air and/or ore shaft...! DEEP!
    Timbers straining under umpteen metric ton of pressure on all sides, can crumble under any influence,
    trapping you - and since no map exists, it is up to you to find another way out...!
    Hi-tech devices to test air quality is great to take with you. Tell someone where you will be found,
    and when to expect your return....
    Everything depends on Murphy's Law, where anything that can happen wrong, WILL HAPPEN, so
    prepare for worst case situation...!
    GL+HH!
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

us
    Jun 2020
    Nebraska
    Nokta Simplex Fisher F70
    137 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    There are really a lot of dangers that must be considered.

As a Confined Spaces Corodinator for several years, I can point out just a few right off the top of my head.

1. Presence of hazardous gasses
    2. Wood rot weakening timbers which were likely marginally safe to begin with
    3. Stagnant air is often low on oxygen and high on bacteria content....just ask the guy who opened King Tut's tomb about that one.

I think it would be a great adventure, but before you open it up, wear proper protection (PAPR system at least) and test the air quality before ever venturing inside and be prepared to pump in oxygen if necessary. I wouldn't trust any of the exisitng cribbage and would reinforce everything first.

Just go slow and do it right.

us
    groundhog Tom

Jun 2020
    West Va
    Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
    240 times
    Relic Hunting
    Just a thought but My Penna coal diggin ancestors used to use a small bird like a canary or a sparrow in a cage. I'd see if any bats made their home in the cave once opened before going further
    I don't have a PHD, I got somethig better, a DD 214

Dec 2004
    Tesoro Bandido II umax Fisher CZ20 Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
    39 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Get a good blower to push some fresh air in there !!

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2678 times
    Metal Detecting
    The dangers are legion, some obvious and some not - If you need to ask, I think it would be best to try to recruit someone with experience in these matters.

us
    Jul 2018
    Mountains of Western Colorado
    Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Crystal ball,Noggin,Do the math.
    2250 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyTrails55 View Post
    Okay so, I'm a old guy now (70) and have been looking for this old lost spanish mine for years now and we think we have found it but it has a rock boulder plug in it that we need to remove. It hasn't been opened for like 200 years. I want to know about the dangers with stuff like Bad Air and the devices that can detect it. I also want to know if there is any one of you professional speologists that has dealed with something like this and are available. Thanks, Darrell
    How big is this mine.
    The mountains have rules.They are harsh rules,but they are there,and if you keep to them you are safe.A mountain is not like men. A mountain is sincere. The weapons to conquer it exists inside you,inside your soul.

ca
    Sep 2005
    Paso Robles
    Teknetics G2
    306 times
    cyzak, well we know several things, the size of the spanish and indian people were on the average 5' to 5' 9" tall, the entrances were more like coyote holes for the most part and now we have pulled back the boulder and apparently the mine is buried with dirt and rocks and some of those rocks are the tailings of quartz, the underside of the boulder appears to have been hand carved FLAT see pic'sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	101_8385.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	1853270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_8387.JPG 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1853272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_8388.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	1853273

us
    Jul 2018
    2250 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyTrails55 View Post
    cyzak, well we know several things, the size of the spanish and indian people were on the average 5' to 5' 9" tall, the entrances were more like coyote holes for the most part and now we have pulled back the boulder and apparently the mine is buried with dirt and rocks and some of those rocks are the tailings of quartz, the underside of the boulder appears to have been hand carved FLAT see pic'sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	101_8385.JPG 
ID:	1853270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_8387.JPG 
ID:	1853272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_8388.JPG 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	1853273
    My interest was in if you had discovered some type of tailings left behind to actually indicate some type of digging. From your photos the area does not show that type of sign of disturbance how did you come upon the conclusion there was a mine.
    The mountains have rules.They are harsh rules,but they are there,and if you keep to them you are safe.A mountain is not like men. A mountain is sincere. The weapons to conquer it exists inside you,inside your soul.

ca
    Sep 2005
    Paso Robles
    Teknetics G2
    306 times
    cyzak well first of all I have some insider info and I will not reveal the source, 2nd is your member profile here says you know about mathematics and geometry, and 3rdly and the most important part is like what Calvin Keys calls the "yard" of where there is a god awful amount of old Spanish Monuments, so the first 3 pic's here is of the Alpha and Omega Man, then 2 pic's of a heart stone, then following it pic's of a pozo stone (air shaft covering), then a few of a sun sign, then one animal monument, then a turtle monument....I could go on and on with this, found their hacienda camp too and there's also a Map Rock and many, many more monuments and sign. It's taken me years to figure out the relationship to all of these and of course I had help too along the way of which I am not forgetting about. Picture numbers got screwed up, sorryClick image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4076.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	1853522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0211.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	1853524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0212.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	1853526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4514.JPG 
ID:	1853528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4519.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	1853529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_3585.JPG 
Views:	25 
ID:	1853530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_3586.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	1853531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_3593.JPG 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	1853532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_3631.JPG 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	1853533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_3633.JPG 
Size:	912.4 KB 
ID:	1853534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_3623.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	1853535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_3440.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	1853536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4494.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	1853537 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4524 (1).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	1853517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4531 (1).jpg 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	1853518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4550.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	1853519
    cyzak, DizzyDigger, Joanne and 1 others like this.

us
    Jul 2018
    2250 times
    You have definitely located an area that had activity you must proceed with caution though lots of false indicators to throw one off.It is in my findings that areas that were mined also held vaults that is one reason for so many types of signs.I know about time to I have one area I have been at for 8 years do not give up the reward will be worth it in the end just be real careful.

Apr 2020
    579 times
    That's awesome to see all these clues! I'm glad you found a cave, that sounds so cool! If you pick up any rocks in the cave,don't bring them in the house! The rock odor will take all the oxygen out of the house! It'll be hard to breathe and you start coughing! I figured it out the hard way!
    1637 and HappyTrails55 like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links