Collecting sports cards

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi all Besides detecting and playing baseball I love to collect sports cards. Been collecting for 25 yrs. I have accumulated 10's of thousands of cards over the years. I attached a few pics of just a very few cards that I have. It would take yrs for me to load it all up. As you can tell I like bonds alot. He's my favorite player. I also will have to dig out a 1954 original mint condition sports illustrated mag.

Any other sporst collectors out there want to talk about the hobby. Just drop me a reply.

HH Jer

Attachments

• Bond\'s Rookies edited.JPG
    Bond\'s Rookies edited.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • old cards 1 edited.JPG
    old cards 1 edited.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,160
  • old cards edited.JPG
    old cards edited.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,133

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
I'm only about a year late responding but I still collect hockey cards. Just turned 33 and started when I was about 12 or so. Never go into other sports and hockey isnt really a money sport, but I still love it. Love the feeling of opening a pack and finding a rare card. I also have a bunch of magic the gathering cards too, but I dont buy them anymore, but cant part with them :D

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, nice collection,
I have tons here too.
Bo Jackson was my guy.
He was the man!
Too bad he blew his hip out.
I have abut 900 of him alone
and several dozen mags
with him on the cover.

One of my fave baseball collectables
is a autographed ball with the 1972 Tigers
from spring ball along with pictures
of each guy signing it. Billie Martin (mgr),
Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Northrup, Stanley..etc

Thanks for sharing these!

Smiles!
BDoo

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Very nice gentlemen. I am damned Cub fan. Have been since I was about 13, my dad doesnt understand at all (he is a lifelong Dodger fan) & thinks im nuts, although he does root for em only for my benefeit. Bad pic but I have 14 autographed 8x10 pics of such greats as Sosa, Grace, Dawson, Dunston & Hall of Famers Ron Santo, Billy Williams, Ferg Jenkins, Rich Nye & more. Have many signed cards & couple signed balls but my best peice is 14x11 1971 litho of Mr.Cub Ernie Banks that he was nice enough to sign for me at a convention in L.A. a few years ago! Nicest guy in the world & my favorite player of all time! Now if we could just win the series I could curl up in a ball & die a happy man! ;D

Attachments

• Me n Ernie.jpg
    Me n Ernie.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,258
  • office.jpg
    office.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Me n Ernie.jpg
    Me n Ernie.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,271

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I spent a lot of time and money collecting baseball and football cards from about 1987-1995, I mean A LOT of money. While I really enjoyed it then I really wish that I would have invested it in rare or even just silver coins, would have been a better investment I think. I saved a few hundred of the "better" or favorite players in a book- the same one I've had since I was a kid. Always thought I would pass them on but now I have a daughter and my wife wants be to "get 'em snipped" so I don't think there will be a son to pass them onto :-[ I've been meaning to throw them up on ebay for a while now, don't really have the time to seperate them into players or catagories... anybody on tnet want to trade for some silver??? I'll scan and send pics via email if you're interested!

DETREASUREHNTR

Jun 15, 2006
Bear,DE
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
Man I just found this post LOL I also collected for anumber of years and most of mine is from 87-99 roughly. You name it I probably have it and if anyone is interested in anything let me know. I have a ton of Baseball,Football,Basketball and Hockey starting line ups if your missing any from your collection. I also have hundreds of different magazines with different players from all sports. If your are inetested let me know and i will take a pic and post it or email it to you.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've got one of those Ozzie Smith Topps rookies kicking around my office. What's it worth now?

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I too did some collecting in the late 80s early 90s what a terrible time to collect,the only bright spot is during that time I bought mostly packs of new cards and I still have them all unopened in a cedar chest. I started collecting when I was a kind in the mid 70s and collected for 3 or 4 years pretty solid the drawback was that my mom threw out all of my cards from those days so they are all a loss. Thankfully when I started back up in the late 80s I bought a lot of older cards when they were still pretty cheap. I got back into the hooby 6 or 7 years ago when I first got onto Ebay. I started out pretty small working on a couple of sets then I started buying larger amounts and selling them. The profits I threw right back into them and kept selling and buying. Today I have Im sure 50-60 thousand sports cards including most of a set ex/mt or better 1972 Topps baseball 3/4 of a set ex/mt or better 1969 Topps Football which has the only Piccolo card and a lot of nice stars with Butkus rookie,Sayres,Griese,bart Starr,Gifford a really great set that came in two series one with borders one without. I have quite a few 52 Topps baseball(sorry no Mantle) as well as several hundred other cards from the 50s a partial set of 59 Topps baseball a lot of 56 Topps baseball really just too many cards but I cant ever bring myself to sell any of the good ones so they are piled into a big firesafe ....I just finished posting my coin collection and am going to try and post my trains tomorrow will be posting my ballcards in the near future over in the collections area if you are interested...

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:D JerDFX: Has Bonds put on weight? Hehehehe!

In 1952, I was given my 1st Bike, & I remember putting Baseball Cards on the Spokes! How many Mantles did I ruin?

Joe

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm getting some cards soon that I will be selling if any of you are interested. The first batch includes some juicy pieces, and there's a hell of a lot more coming. I'll have these in a couple of days and will be able to send pictures/etc.

1) A mickey mantle 2004 upper deck stellar stat men jersey
card.

2) 2000 Collector's Edge T3 Ron Dayne 1 of 1 - Graded
Authentic. There were 12 cards made that year and each one
was an original pic of Ron with his original sig. on the
card.

3) GAI certified mint 9 - 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany Barry Bonds.

4) GAI certified gem mint 9.5 - 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany
Barry Bonds.

5) GAI certified Autograph on a 1987 Leaf Candy City Tm -
Yogi Berra.

6) AAA certified mint 9, 1930 Whitman #6 - Babe Ruth.

7) AAA certified mint+ 9.5, Whitman #7 - Ty Cobb.

8) Baseball Signed by Barry Bonds, certified with Bond's
Hologram.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Got about 50000 cards myself from that rotten collecting era. And sigh ... my mother also accidentally ruined about 50000 cards from 60's - early 80's. Sad part most were traded for ...etc.. cards of value. That is the destroyed ones.

Postalrevnant

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have been collecting 30 years but now am trying to downsize, hobby is too complicated and exspensive, remember when you could get a pack of 80s topps for 35 cents??, mabe pull a jackson, rose, henderson?? I am now concentrating only on 52 topps

Tico14

Jun 16, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7, 1266X, Troy Shadow X-3, Tesoro Deleon, Silver Umax, Whites IDX-Pro (Mr. Bill's Mods), Silver Eagle, Modded Classic 1,
I collect baseball cards too
cobb.jpg
cobb4.jpg
sgcjohnson.jpg
mathewson.jpg

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collected a lot as a kid but gave it up a long time ago. But last summer did buy a card of my favorite player of all time Ted williams. Probably the only card of my hero I will ever own. I just posted it in the collections forum if anyone is interested in seeing it. Tico Those cards are unbelievable.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too did some collecting in the late 80s early 90s what a terrible time to collect,the only bright spot is during that time I bought mostly packs of new cards and I still have them all unopened in a cedar chest. I started collecting when I was a kind in the mid 70s and collected for 3 or 4 years pretty solid the drawback was that my mom threw out all of my cards from those days so they are all a loss. Thankfully when I started back up in the late 80s I bought a lot of older cards when they were still pretty cheap. I got back into the hooby 6 or 7 years ago when I first got onto Ebay. I started out pretty small working on a couple of sets then I started buying larger amounts and selling them. The profits I threw right back into them and kept selling and buying. Today I have Im sure 50-60 thousand sports cards including most of a set ex/mt or better 1972 Topps baseball 3/4 of a set ex/mt or better 1969 Topps Football which has the only Piccolo card and a lot of nice stars with Butkus rookie,Sayres,Griese,bart Starr,Gifford a really great set that came in two series one with borders one without. I have quite a few 52 Topps baseball(sorry no Mantle) as well as several hundred other cards from the 50s a partial set of 59 Topps baseball a lot of 56 Topps baseball really just too many cards but I cant ever bring myself to sell any of the good ones so they are piled into a big firesafe ....I just finished posting my coin collection and am going to try and post my trains tomorrow will be posting my ballcards in the near future over in the collections area if you are interested...
..Butkus RC is 1966 Philadelphia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread